Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-R has no TIN number. It has an OMB number and Federal ID. Are these a TIN?

Can OMB or Federal ID numbers on my 1099-R be used instead of a TIN? I have no TIN.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

My 1099-R has no TIN number. It has an OMB number and Federal ID. Are these a TIN?

It sounds like you may be looking at a Form W-2 instead of a 1099-R.  

Please see the samples below.  A Form W-2 would be entered under Income & Expenses under the area titled Job (W-2).  The W-2 Form has the sections titled OMB and EIN listed on the form and is used to report wages earned while an employee.

W-2 Form sample

A 1099-R Form only has the TIN number, and does not show the OMB of EIN numbers.  This information would be entered in the Income & Expenses section of the program as well, but it would be listed under Retirement Plans & Social Security.  A 1099-R form is used to report distributions from pension and retirement plans.

Please see the sample 1099-R form below.

1099-R sample form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My form in the middle reads 

Statement of Annuity Paid                      OBM No. 1545-0119 Form 1099R

Office of personnel management retirement Operations 

and has 13 boxes only

Thanks

Rafik Labib

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The Payer's TIN number is underneath the Payer's Name box (Office of Personnel Management Retirement Operations).   Are you saying that the form is empty with only a date in Box 13, or does it have information and amounts in other boxes?   If it has other information in it, enter it using the instructions below.   If not, comment back and let us know more details about your form; thanks!   You'll get a 1099-R if you received $10 or more from a retirement plan.  Here's how to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you get a 1099-R? screen.
    • If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.
  4. Select which option matches your form and Continue.
  5. You can import your form directly from your financial institution by searching or selecting yours from one of the options on the screen. You'll be prompted to enter your financial institution account information, and TurboTax will directly import your forms.
    • If you prefer to type it in yourself, select Change how I enter my form and continue through.    @rlabib

My 1099R has a OMB # but no Federal ID #. Are they the same, or can I use the OMB # on my tax return?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No.  The OBM is a control number but not a federal ID number.  You will need to obtain a TIN or you won't be able to file your return electronically. Sometimes you may find these online but if not, you may need to call the company who issued the 1099R. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies