turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mclarens

My 1099-MISC has box 9 checked that says Payer made direct sales of $5000 or more of consumer products to a buyer (recipient) for resale. It says N/A in Turbo Tax

My 1099-MISC has box 9 checked that says "Payer made direct sales of $5000 or more of consumer products to a buyer (recipient) for resale." When I try to fill it out the 1099-MISC section in Turbo Tax it shows box 9 as N/A and won't let me input anything or tell me why. What do I need to do? Anyone have any idea?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

My 1099-MISC has box 9 checked that says Payer made direct sales of $5000 or more of consumer products to a buyer (recipient) for resale. It says N/A in Turbo Tax

Form 1099-MISC Box 9 reports information rather than income. Basically, the company reported to the IRS that you made direct sales of product for resale. This implies that you will report this activity on Schedule C as income/expenses from self-employment. When you enter Form 1099-MISC, leave Box 9 blank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-MISC Box 9 reports information rather than income. Basically, the company reported to the IRS that you made direct sales of product for resale. This implies that you will report this activity on Schedule C as income/expenses from self-employment. When you enter Form 1099-MISC, leave Box 9 blank.

mclarens

where do I find Schedule C? Am I using the correct version of Turbo Tax to accomplish this? I have a hobby that enables me to sell products once in a while, but it's not really a business, so I'm not using the "business" version of Turbo Tax.
mclarens

never mind, i found it and upgraded. question solved.

BOX 9 does tell the IRS that you sold product for a commission. Commission is income and has to be reported on your schedule C. Switch to forms mode, under view and use the worksheets for your Schedule C
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Forms mode is available only with the desktop version of TurboTax.
cweber-1

HOW THE F*** TO I FIND THE SCHEDULE C???
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The easiest way to find Schedule C in TurboTax is to open your return and use the Find/Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule c", hit Enter, then click on "jump to schedule c".
carahenry

What if I kept all the product for personal use?

Do I have to include the information on the 1099-Misc form, the company name and federal Id number or do I just go to schedule c and put the sales 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You can just enter the sales from the Form 1099-MISC on Schedule C. 

You do not have to enter the physical Form 1099-MISC into TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies