turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just recieved a w-2 an a 1099 misc from my company . i dont know if i can do an ezy form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

I just recieved a w-2 an a 1099 misc from my company . i dont know if i can do an ezy form

The form 1040EZ doesn't exist anymore because of the tax reforms. Everyone will now have to use a regular 1040 form. Turbo Tax will walk you through how to enter the 1099Misc. You will need the self-employment TurboTax version.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Why did you get a 1099-misc  from your employer (who issued a W-2)? What box, on the 1099, is the money in, box 3 or box 7.
You almost certainly will not be able to complete a tax return in the free edition of TurboTax

I just need to know what tax form to do.dont want to get in touble

But i am not self employed
Hal_Al
Level 15

There are several ways to enter a 1099. It depends on why you got it and what box the $ are in.  Employers are not supposed to issue 1099s to employees. But they don't always know this or think their circumstances are an exception.
If you are not self employed, why DID you get a 1099?

But the simple answer is: You do Schedule C. The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400, even though you say you are  not self employed

My 1099 misc form It is on line 3 .
It is a car allowance the company gave
Hal_Al
Level 15

It goes on line 21 of form 1040 (schedule 1) as other income. Enter the 1099-misc, at the 1099-misc screen in Turbotax.  TurboTax (TT) aggressively steers you to self employment. .

The key to getting TT to treat it as other income is to follow these steps:

Enter the 1099-Misc
On the next screen Describe what the payment was for (Car allowance)
On the next screen select "none of these apply"
On the next screen select "No it didn't involve work like my main job"
On the next screen select "I got it in 2018" ONLY
On the next screen select No, it didn't involve intent to earn money

TT will put the amount on line 21 of form 1040 as other income

In the past, you were then  allowed to deduct your mileage as an itemized deduction. But starting in 2018, that is no longer allowed.

DanaB
Expert Alumni

The form 1040EZ doesn't exist anymore because of the tax reforms. Everyone will now have to use a regular 1040 form. Turbo Tax will walk you through how to enter the 1099Misc. You will need the self-employment TurboTax version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies