Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mousey19

Must I File A Tax Return If My 2018 Income Was Social Security Disability? I Had No Earned Income For 2018. James

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Must I File A Tax Return If My 2018 Income Was Social Security Disability? I Had No Earned Income For 2018. James

No - If your only income was from Social Security Disability and your filing status is single, you don't need to file a return (unless your annual income exceeds $25,000).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
blaescm

What if my only income was SSDI, but I'm married and my spouse's income was Social Security (not disability) and part time work income? 

Assuming you are filing a joint return, then since your spouse had some earned income, you enter all of the Social Security disability income and regular SS benefits received on the return.  You should both have a SSA1099 for the SS you received.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes you might have to file a tax return.  You should file a Joint return for all the part time income and the Social Security and SSDI.  Doesn't matter if it's just SS or SSDI (they are taxed the same)

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies