turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moving money from aboard



I just moved to US. I may need to transfer all my money to US. Is there any limit or do I need to report anything to IRS? I know that if I receive more than 100k from other people, I need to fill in the form. If I transfer money from own bank oversea to my US bank, I assume nothing to report?  


Hope someone to help. Thanks

2 Replies

moving money from aboard

A transfer from one personal bank account to another personal bank account, foreign or domestic, is not reported by you to the IRS.

moving money from aboard

If at any time during the year, you own or control a foreign bank account containing more than $10,000 US equivalent, you must file a report called FBAR. This can be done electronically from the IRS website. It does not assess tax, it is simply a disclosure that you owned or owned a foreign bank account.


Otherwise, there is no income tax, and no reporting rules when you move your own money from one place to another, whether you are moving money between US accounts, or from an overseas account into a US account, or from a US account into an overseas account. Moving your own money is not taxable.


The banks may be required to file their own reports regarding movements of large amounts of money, but that is some thing that you should simply ignore. It will happen in the background, and you don’t need to think about it, or take any action.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies