Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajeremiah

Moved in 2015, does the IRS have my change of address? Changed of address with the Post Office. Not recognizing my new address on the transcripts site.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

Moved in 2015, does the IRS have my change of address? Changed of address with the Post Office. Not recognizing my new address on the transcripts site.

When requesting a transcript, you should use the last address on record with the IRS.  This is the address on the last return that has been filed and processed.

If you changed your address with the Post Office, this sets up mail forwarding and should allow you to receive IRS correspondence.  However, this forwarding stops after a certain period of time.  In addition, not every postal service will forward government issued refund checks.

You should update your address with the IRS to ensure you receive any correspondence they may send you.  Please refer to the article below for additional guidance.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnaB

When requesting a transcript, you should use the last address on record with the IRS.  This is the address on the last return that has been filed and processed.

If you changed your address with the Post Office, this sets up mail forwarding and should allow you to receive IRS correspondence.  However, this forwarding stops after a certain period of time.  In addition, not every postal service will forward government issued refund checks.

You should update your address with the IRS to ensure you receive any correspondence they may send you.  Please refer to the article below for additional guidance.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157.html

IRS will recognize the address that is on your W2. If this address differs from the one that you are currently using, you need to provide IRS this current address on your 1040 form. You will want to definitely do this if you are receiving your refund through the mail since certain pieces of mail like: W2's, income tax refunds, will not be forwarded to your new mailing address. They will be returned to the sender and you will have to provide the current address etc. This will slow down the time in which you receive it. Good Luck 🙂

ajeremiah

Oh, my W2 is def. updated with new address. 😃
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies