Moved from NY to NC. NY is taxing my entire income...

Moved from NY to NC. NY is taxing my entire income for the year. Is that right?

In 2018 I spent the first 3 months in NY. My only income was from dividends in which the NY portion was $1035. I then moved to NC where I worked full time for the remaining 9 months of 2018. After going through the NY state portion of TurboTax, it gives me a summary saying "Amount we start with for NY: $67,094"... Then it subtracts the standard deduction and says "Amount taxed by New York: $59,094"

Is this right? Why would NY be taxing my NC income? I double checked and made sure that the only income I entered for NY was the $1035 from dividends.

What is the tax actually charged by NY... and that becomes a credit on the NCtsx in any event

Does’t It take a percentage of total income and only tax that

The way that NY calculates your tax as a part-year resident is to compute the tax based on your entire income, then apply a percentage to the tax based on how much of your income is from New York sources, or was earned when you were a NY resident. If you look at line 45 of your Form IT-203, you will see the income percentage. Line 46 shows the allocated NY tax.