turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-M-
Level 1

Moved from CA and Now Resident of TN but my Employer didn't update my Withholding and I need to do a Non Resident form to recoup my taxes paid to CA

I moved from CA and established residency in TN in 2021. I work remote and my employer didn't update my tax withholding to TN until middle of 2022. So I paid half a year's worth of withholding to CA (income and disability) when all my income for the year was earned in TN (which has no income tax or disability tax). I'm using TurboTax desktop which does not make it clear how to recoup this money paid to CA and the withholding only shows up on my paystubs and doesn't show up on my end of year W-2. I have seen the "How do I file a nonresident state return?" article and don't find that particularly helpful...I know I need to file some sort of nonresident CA state return, claim all the income was made in TN and $0 were earned in CA, and put in the taxes paid so I get them refunded, but how do I actually do that in TurboTax desktop (mac) properly? Fill in the boxes on my W-2 that are missing with the taxes paid listed on my paystubs? Input a second W-2 with $0 made and compare to old W-2s and put in the appropriate taxes paid and nothing else? Some other deduction page? Get an updated or second W-2 from my employer? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Moved from CA and Now Resident of TN but my Employer didn't update my Withholding and I need to do a Non Resident form to recoup my taxes paid to CA

You need a corrected W2 from your employer. When your employer gives you a correct W2, this is very simple to do, but without the corrected W2 you don't have the information needed to complete the California return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
K-M-
Level 1

@CatinaT1 what do I actually need to know to complete the nonresident CA return? I know the total dollar amounts of CA tax I paid, I know all my income numbers. Is there anything else I need to know other than what's on my W-2? I'm mainly just unsure of what and where to enter the numbers into turbotax desktop. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

When entering your state tax returns, when multiple states are involved, you should enter your nonresidential state tax return first (CA).

Then enter your residential state tax return (TN).

It is recommended to prepare the nonresident state first, because your resident state will provide you a credit for the tax you pay to the nonresident state.  By preparing the nonresident state first, TurboTax can transfer the credit information to your resident state to return. 

TurboTax will walk you through the process and enter any credits necessary on your state tax returns.

Click here for additional information on filing multiple state returns.

Click here for information regarding filing multiple states returns.

Click here for how to delete your state return in TurboTax desktop.

Click here for how to delete your state tax return in TurboTax Online.

K-M-
Level 1

@LindaS5247 I appreciate the reply but I'm not actually filing for multiple states and this is the same info in the "How do I file a nonresident state return?" which is geared towards TurboTax online and found it didn't help answer my question regarding recouping the withholding taxes I paid to CA while living in TN for TurboTax Desktop. Tennessee has no state tax return so I have nothing to do there, so I'm only doing a nonresident return for California. It's also not a partial residency thing. I lived and worked 100% in Tennessee all year and my paycheck withholding simply wasn't switched over to the proper state by my employer, therefore I paid taxes to California that I needn't have paid, I know the exact dollar amounts, but my W-2 does not reflect those amounts, and I'm trying to understand how to properly enter that into TurboTax Desktop (mac) so I can recoup that money. I hope that clarifies my issue! 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

When preparing CA nonresident return solely to recover erroneous tax withholdings, enter 0 on the screen that asks for the amount of income earned in CA. This will eliminate your tax liability for CA, resulting in a full refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies