Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mistake on 2022 tax return with W7 applications

Hello there

I summited my 2022 income tax return with my 3 children w7 applications, i made a mistake on my taxes since after 2018 itin holders dont qualify for the  child tax credit, so instead ow owning $412(which I send with tax return) now i own $2700.

I marked my 2 smaller children at "child tax credit" box and  my oldest (17) as "credit for other dependents"

I only receipt one ITIN letter back from my oldest.

I never receipt itin letters for my youngest 2 children, according to irs and I quote their letter "child was listed as a dependent but were not claimed for any allowable tax benefit" or you didnt include a complete tax return with your application" 

I called the itin department and they said they never receive a tax return with those 2 w7 (I submmitted my 3 w7 and tax return at the irs office center in Charlotte in person)

My question is:

Do i submit the same return showing child tax credit with schedule form 8812, even though they dont qualify for the tax credit or do i have to redo my 1040 and mark them all as other dependents. and redo my schedule 8812.

please advise

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I think you need some hands on help with this. Online forums don't allow the direct review of everything involved.

Sometimes you can find free help like this at the public library, or ask a librarian to help you figure out where you might get help for free.

One warning, it sounds like you are saying you miscalculated and the IRS says you owe. Treat this debt very seriously as it takes priority over almost any other claim. Even if you are poor, you don't want to ignore it!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's important to amend your return, include the W-7 forms again for the children that do not yet have an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).  You are correct that the children only qualify for the Other Dependent Credit (ODC) when they have a ITIN.  If you have a receipt of your tax return when you left it last year you should take that with you as well.

You definitely want to apply again this year so that you do not lose out for the ODC for 2023.  I would advise correcting your 2022 return and going to Charlotte again to get it all straightened out.  It would be a good idea to have your 2023 return with you.

Be sure to read all the instructions carefully, before you begin, so that TurboTax knows the original numbers and the changed numbers for your amendment.

@cristinafromcharlotte 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies