Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing 2019 tax data file after turbotax software updates were applied

Online is closed for 2020.  You have to finish in the Desktop program.   You can download your online return and open it in the Desktop program.  You will need a full Windows or Mac computer to install the program.

How to finish a return you started online

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

VolvoGirl:  You made the day!

The data thought to be lost, were NOT lost.

I followed your instructions and now have the data back.  

Thank you so much!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY 2019 SOFEWARE, IT WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO ENTER THE CODE THAT I HAVE??? ALLL OF MY 2019 FILE I CAN'T GET TO THEM WHY????

I'm another one this happned to. I didn't see this thread at the time. I was pretty sure I had entered most of the info, but just needed a little bit more so filed for extension. When I went to open it in Oct, it wanted an update. & then was missing data. That I thought I had entered. Plus not sure where the paper work had been put.

I was so frustrated, & only small amount of income so never got back to finishing. Or the next year either.

These were purchased downloads for Mac Deluxe.  

&; having ADHD, its extra frustrating so I never finished. & then it kept me back from 2020, although again I purchased download.

But I tried to open it as I'm working on 2021 & it wants ANOTHER UPDATE!

What do you mean you don't store it? It should have been saved on my computer! I just now stumbled on this thread as I'm skipping ahead to 2021.

I had purchased download Deluxe for Mac. I filed for extension in 2019. Pretty sure I was almost done. When I went back to open it in Oct, the data I had entered was gone. But also not sure where I put the paperwork. I gave up in frustration! & didn't have much income. & then I didn't get 2020 done, though I downloaded it, & hope the file is there.

I'm working on 2021 now, Deluxe for Mac & upgraded to Catalina. But when I tried to open 2019 incomplete return it suggests I update. & it won't let me skip update. Why does it want to run another update? I can't remember how much more I had entered but don't want it to lose it again!

& all this time I didn't realize it was TT error! That has led to 2 past years not being filed! especially frustrating for those w ADHD, etc!

After finishing 2021, I was planning to catch up w 2019 & 2020! Why does it want to update 2019 now?

Just seeing all this now. I was almost done w my 2019 but had to fix over contribution to Roth. I think that was about all I  needed when I filed for extension. Then put it off until Oct, & it wanted to do an update. & then most everything was gone. I think I reentered some but had misplaced paperwork so got overwhelmed & never finished. & then didn't get 2020 done either. & all this time it had been weighing me down.

Not sure if they still have the option but I think it was 2013 it offered saving return as a PDF. So I went back & pulled them up since I  needed biz category code. Guess that will be safer if they still offer it,

For me, purchased download of Deluxe for Mac.

Mine was purchased download for Mac. But seeing some comments about searching for it. I forgot that I run time machine. Except that don't know how far back it goes But that might be a possibility for recovering it which I didn't think of at the time,

Kind of nervous now wanting to go back to finish 2019 & 2020, it wants to update!

I found 2019 application in Time machine but it doesn't open. & I found a file that was only I  think 900 K that also didn't open. Thinking it might have been there. Wish I had thought of using Time machine back when it originally disappeared.  Something is there in Time Machine. & I guess I should check my other external drive, maybe it will have something that will open,

Hi Kathy. 

No it's not an TurboTax error.

Somewhere after Oct 15 (the extension deadline),

you can no longer use the online version for the prior Tax Year.

So if you had started up doing your taxes for TY 2020 in June 2021

(after hopefully you had your needed extension filed on the IRS website or somewhere or whatever), 

then you need to download the DESKTOP version for TY 2020.

Actually, I personally like the DESKTOP VERSION one better,

because at any time you can see, how what you fill out and into the program, 

will show in the actual 1040 form; will show in the actual schedule c form; the expense form and so on.

There is a "forms" button in the DESKTOP version.  I think that's pretty cool.  

As you fill in you data, you can click it and you see it in the IRS 1040 form,

which form you will print out once you are done, and then mail it to the IRS.

Anyway, you data was not lost.

The DESKTOP version will pull it in.

I am short in time now, doing my own taxes here, ferociously entering expenses etc, 

so I can't write down all the instructions, for which I have to re-think them first.

I advice, since you do have the DESKTOP version and paid for it,

that you call as you open your current ONLINE VERSION OF TURBOTAX

which can only be the TY 2021,

and then go step by step, following the instruction by the TURBOTAX ppl.

Click on the LIVE HELP BUTTON.

I find that the TURBOTAX folks are extremely helpful. 

They've never let me down, hence I am a TT fanatic, now using TT for the last 10+ years.

I always dread taxes like any other normal human, and I get anxiety months ahead, 

just thinking about it and the insecure outcome of what is owed after I fill in all my data.

Then, once I start it up, I get totally carried away, and notice that I start having fun.

I will turn into a tax-nut for about 2/3 weeks, spending any possible hours on the computer,

and in the old years, among piles of paper work too.

I love that little icon in the right bottom corner with the smiling dude as a 'mental' support,
(even when you don't ask it-it's the idea that you can)

and TT people call you and you can see them, when you click on it.  

Or they just call. 

I immediately GIVE THEM ACCESS to my screen,
and they can point their arrows on where you should click on your screen.

The TURBOTAX people can't click on anything to open, but they can see your screen, and guide you.  

Sometimes, I hang up and locate needed files myself on my C drive,
and figure it out on my own after the call 

in which they already indicated how to do it. 
After that it's usually easy, or a small challenge,
that is very rewarding once you figure out a few tricks of the trade of these programs and taxes in general. 

Let your supposed ADHD be a blessing; it will be no problem switching between 100s of screens in a day for you, and that is what is needed when you do your taxes.

Unless you do Quickbooks on the go and note and organize every single receipt with your phone. 

I am playing with the thought to get it this year ....

However, I also like that I am forced to go down all of my data for the prior TY,

in my XCEL sheet downloaded online from the bank for TY personally,

and that I am forced to categorize in all the separate expense categories.

(This Sunday, I discovered that I paid a $25 late fee month ago, and got that back from the bank.  I also noted that ATT double charged me for the first month-I am on automatic pay and never noted that before)

In general, it's good to look back at the year and get an oversight about what you did financially,

then later you can ponder the hard financial truth,  (after the filing stress is over) which will set you free, 
and wonder if you can take a new direction, and better your financial life.  

Dear, good luck!

Call those TurboTax ppl and stay focused on the resolve of your issue - talk only about that,

I know there is an answer and you will find it.  

Your data is not lost.

All the best.

IES
Level 2

The same thing just happened to me.  I updated TurboTax and my tax returns for the past 4 years disappeared completely.  I need to file an amended 2021 return and there's nothing there.  What happened with the update?

Yea.  This is a real sore point for me.  No apologies.  Not even trying to make up for the fact that Turbotax screwed us.  If it is any help, you can request the transcript of past returns from the IRS by signing up/into your personal portal.

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

@IES - are you using online or desktop software? 

if desktop do a search for *.tax2021 

Yes I notice my files were missing in 2019,  2020, one in 2021

@marionbry601 - you may have inadvertantly moved them to somewhere else on your harddrive

again, do a search: *.tax20*  and see if that doesn't surface them all.

do you have a back up copy? 

YES I NOTICE SOME OF MY FILES MISSING 2018, 2019,2020, AND ONE 2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies