Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TRW
Level 2

Maximum Keogh Deduction

I've completed my taxes except for the K-1 we'll be receiving.  My wife retired last year (1 person business) and this will be the last K-1 we'll be receiving (ie, she is no longer a partner in the LLC.)  I'm getting a tale of woe about when the K-1 will be available.  I'd very much like to send in the Keogh contribution based on her regular income so we can roll it into a regular IRA and have more flexibility with it.  I looked at last year's taxes and the income from the K-1 doesn't seem to enter into the maximum Keogh contribution calculation.  But I'd like to make sure.  So my question is: Does the income from a K-1 affect the maximum Keogh contribution from her regular income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Maximum Keogh Deduction

The K-1 income would not affect her KEOGH contribution from her self-employment business since it is based on income from that particular business.  Any distributions from the partnership would not factor, however, if the partnership has a retirement plan, that may affect her overall contribution limit.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TRW
Level 2

Maximum Keogh Deduction

In the second sentence, did you mean to say "would factor" instead of "would not factor"?  The partnership does not have any retirement plan.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Maximum Keogh Deduction

Yes, if the partnership has a retirement plan or if your spouse has self-employment income reported on Schedule K-1, the maximum KEOGH contribution limit may be affected. Partnership distributions in general are not self-employment income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies