turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericpeterfl
Returning Member

Married with one child

Hi. I am married and I have one child. We own a home if that matters. How many deductions should my W-4 have? What about my wife’s W-4?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
James-B
Employee Tax Expert

Married with one child

Hi @ericpeterfl

This is a great question and a common one for folks trying to use the new W-4 form!  The new form (established in 2020) is set up a little differently.  After you complete your biographic information at the top, Step 2 will ask you about multiple jobs.  In your case this may play a significant role to ensuring you are withholding the correct amount.  There is a tiny check mark in that section under Step 2 (c).  It says “If there are only two jobs total, you may check this box. Do the same on Form W-4 for the other job. This option is accurate for jobs with similar pay; otherwise, more tax than necessary may be withheld.”.  Checking this box tells the company you are working for that both of you work and they should withhold at a higher rate; otherwise, they may withhold too little.

The second section that will be important for you is Step 3 for dependents.  If you make less than $400,000, then you will write in $2000 for each dependent under age 17.  So, 1 dependent would be $2000 and when you have 2 it would update to $4000.

Finally, step 4 is a catchall which allows you to withhold additional tax if you would like.  Sometimes withholding is more of an Art than a science, so if you and your spouse get your first pay slips and not enough has been withheld, then you can update your W-4 to add a little more withholding each pay period.  Sometimes it takes a few pay cycles to get it completely dialed in.

I hope that answers your question!  If you have any additional questions, please give TurboTax a call anytime.  We would love to hear from you and help in any way we can.

Have a great day!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies