Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MicahHeil

Married filing jointly different states

My wife and I just got married this summer and we're confused on our tax situation. We have heard that it is advantageous to file jointly, but she is a resident of WA and I am a resident of MT. She is currently in a doctor program and has no income, where I have a decent income and work in WA. Would it be best for me to become a WA resident for our tax filing, or can we still file jointly as residents of different states. I have heard that Montana has an income tax whereas Washington doesn't, but I don't know how that impacts our situation.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

WA has no state income tax.   MT does have a state income tax, and since you have been living in MT, you are subject to paying MT state tax even though you work in WA.  You pay state tax to the state you live in if that state has a state income tax..   You and your spouse can file a joint federal tax return so that you get all of the advantages of filing jointly.   You have nothing to file for WA.   If you move to WA before the tax year ends, you will need to file a part year MT return for the income you received while you lived in MT.    If you stay in MT for all of 2024, you will file a full year MT state return.  You say your spouse has no income at all (??) so your MT return should not be impacted by the fact that you are married.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies