Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bunching

Married couple with taxable income of $24,500 but liability over $5k???

Hi all,

I did our taxes last night (married couple, no dependents, filing jointly) and I think there was some sort of mistake. TurboTax suggests our tax liability is twice as high as a simple calculator -- what does it know that I don't?

Here's our setup:

• AGI of $50,400 (comprising $18,400 regular W2 income and $32,000 from backdated Covid-Related Withdrawal, i.e. we cashed out $96,000 during COVID and spread repayments out in thirds so $32k is taxable this year).
  • Standard Deduction reduces taxable income by $25,900
  • Taxable Income of $24,500 (TurboTax confirms this)
  • Total tax of $5,400 (???) (TurboTax says this)

A popular web calculator for Nerds who like Wallets suggests our total tax owed should be about $2,500 not $5,400. So did I screw this up? Can anyone see something that I'm missing?

I don't have that much money in my account so I will be a late filer. We are quite worried, and hoping someone can point us in the right direction. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Shawn

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yep, that's fishy.   EXCEPT

IF the $18,400 was Self-employed income...then that ~$5400 number is right on target, since you would owe SS and Medicare taxes of ~15.3% on that...before any regular income taxes were applied.

Are you sure you entered that income as W-2? 

IF it was SE income, and entered as such, then the ~$5400 is at least close to being correct.

Print out a copy of your form 1040, and look to see which lines the income is showing for...and where each tax charge gets added in.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Did you mark the Covid withdrawal as a covid withdrawal?  If not, you would have a 10% penalty on the $32,000 which would be calculated separately.  Look at your Schedule 2 line 8.  Is there a number there?  If so, go back through your 1099-R section and make sure you tell TurboTax that it is a covid withdrawal so you get the penalty exemption.

Also, the amount due should not make you a late filer.  You could file an extension and request a payment plan.  Otherwise, you will be subject to failure to file penalties as well as late payment penalties and interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies