Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marked deceased on 2023 taxes but didn't pass until 2024

Filed 2023 taxes and marked husband deceased and he didn't due until February 2024. IRS has accepted but not processed. Do I need to file an amended return to correct? I am expecting a refund.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I assume that you filed jointly. So your tax liability would be unchanged so there should be no reason to amend. 

So sorry for your loss.   You can say on the return that the person died before preparing/filing the tax return--even if they passed away at a later date.  Do not amend for that.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you. I did file jointly. I filed on 3/16/24 & it still shows received only, so guessing it will just process eventually.

Did anything show up on the 2023 return about passing away and the date?  Like at the very top of the 1040?  Or just on the signature line at the bottom of page 2?  It probably says Filing as surviving spouse?

Then you know for 2024 next year you still file a Joint return.  Then at the very top of 1040 page 1, it should say DECEASED (NAME) 02/xx/2024.   My husband died in 2023 last year but I had filed 2022 before he passed so nothing was noted on our 2022 return.  For 2023 I filed Joint as normal saying he was Deceased and it put DECEASED 03/16/23 at the very top.    

It did put his name and date if death on top of 1040. I'm just wondering why they haven't processed and sent our refund check yet. It's been over 2 months since I filed. Thanks for information for next year.

@muzz777 TurboTax gets no information from the IRS after you file your tax return, so no one at TT can tell you what the IRS is doing.  Only the IRS can tell you.   You are far from being the only one who has been waiting for a refund for a couple of months.  Many others have experienced delays as well.   You can call the IRS to ask.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much! I did call & hit refund and got automated which was no help. I will follow your directions Tuesday and talk to a live person. Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies