Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maried. how to adjust w-2's multiple jobs question when other spouse gets new job.

Hi, 2ish questions.

1) a few months ago me and my wife had no job. My wife has a new job where she filled out the w-2 and left blank the part 'multiple jobs' if were are making 0 at the moment, how should we fill that section out?

2) Im getting a new job, and may be higher paying. how do i fill out the 'multiple jobs' portion? and does my wife need to adjust hers? should they match? -can this be updated later in the year when we have a better idea of income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JBedford
Employee Tax Expert

maried. how to adjust w-2's multiple jobs question when other spouse gets new job.

Hi, @tburbano ! The best solution is for Step 2 of the W-4 form to be filled out for both jobs, but steps 3-4b for only one of the jobs. Therefore, it might be advisable for your wife to submit a new form with Step 2 filled out. You should also fill out Step 2 for the new job. Hope this helps, please let me know if this raises additional questions! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HirschCPA
Expert Alumni

When starting a job, you will need to complete a W4 (not a W2 - a W2 is a recap of your earnings, withholdings etc. for the prior tax year).  It is important to indicate to both your and your wife's payroll systems the combined income or you run the risk of being under withheld on your taxes (read this as you will owe taxes when you file).  This means your wife will need to redo her W4.  If you do not tell payroll of the other income, then each payroll system will look at your respective income as the only income earned by the family.  What would happen in your payroll is that the system will look at your income, filing status etc. as the only income and apply deductions to your income before calculating taxes owed.  Independently, your spouse's payroll will do the same.  This may result in being taxed at a lower tax rate than your combined incomes' actual rate, as well as potentially having too much in deductions applied before taxes are calculated.  You are able to update W4's throughout the year.

For example:

Income from Employer #1 = $60K

Income from Employer #2 = $40K

When completing the W4 for Employer #1, you want to indicate in the "Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works" section that there is an additional $40K being earned through Employer #2.

When completing the W4 for Employer #2, you want to indicate in the "Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works" section that there is an additional $60K being earned through Employer #1.

This will annualize your income in the payroll systems to the $100K you expect to earn in a year, rather than the two payroll systems looking at your incomes separately at $60K MFJ and $40K MFJ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies