Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MA return rejected error

Hi,
I work in MA but live in NH. Have never had my return rejected before, I have a single W2. I got an error code yesterday:

MA_PersonalPropRentalIncome_R17_All

which is confusing since I don't own property or get any income from property. When I tried to fix it, it said there was a software update and to come back after the 8th (i'm using the online version). I came back this morning and got this message.

"Your state tax filing was placed on hold.
What needs to be done:
There are pending updates from the Department of Revenue for topics related to your tax return. There will be a software update available on February 23, 2024 that addresses the issue. On or after that date, please access your return and update you software (for online products, this happens automatically). Proceed through and review your Illinois return, and re-transmit your return (you will not be charged again). Alternatively, you may wish to print and mail your return to the proper taxing authority."
I am not trying to file an Illinois return! Help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

MA return rejected error

We would like to take a deeper dive into this message to assist you.  In order to do this, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools.

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

Here are the instructions if you are using TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MA return rejected error

Same thing here!  First it said the update was on 2/8, now it's saying 2/23 and then mistakenly references Illinois (not MA).  This is getting ridiculous!

MA return rejected error

just did that. my token number is 1177423. MA is the state included in the return.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

MA return rejected error

Here is an updated message on the situation:

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue recently implemented some updates that have affected the forms within TurboTax. Additional time is needed to implement these changes to ensure your return is filed accurately. We anticipate these software updates being available after February 15, 2024. Please log in to your program after this date, and update your software if you are using the desktop product, (for online products, this happens automatically). Proceed through and review your Massachusetts return, and re-transmit your return.

@mathsnowrun 

@shamim73 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

MA return rejected error

Here is an updated message on the situation:

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue recently implemented some updates that have affected the forms within TurboTax. Additional time is needed to implement these changes to ensure your return is filed accurately. We anticipate these software updates being available after February 15, 2024. Please log in to your program after this date, and update your software if you are using the desktop product, (for online products, this happens automatically). Proceed through and review your Massachusetts return, and re-transmit your return.

@mathsnowrun 

@CatinaT1 

MA return rejected error

Hello,

I have the exact same situation as the previous Turbotax users since last week (2/7/23). My MA taxes were rejected on Feb 7th, so I waited until next day, when the update was supposed to be implemented. I re-filed on 2/8 and got rejected again. I revised it and re-filed about 5 times and got rejected 5 times. 

Now that we know it's out of our control, my question is: should we file my mail or wait for whenever that update is made, which could be February 15 or 24th (nobody knows at this point). I honestly would like your opinion. 

Thanks!

MA return rejected error

Token # 1180018   My MA state return was rejected on 2/8/24 and now I was just told wait until 2/23/24. 

MA return rejected error

same exact thing happened to me! Then I get reminders to fix it from Turbo Tax but when I try to I am told it is on hold but the date keeps changing for the software update

MA return rejected error

I just downloaded new updates for MA, resubmitted my MA Tax Return, and minutes later, it was rejected by MA again... 

MA return rejected error

Updates have been downloaded; however, the MA return has been rejected again after resubmission. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

MA return rejected error

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue recently implemented some updates that have affected the forms within TurboTax. Additional time is needed to implement these changes to ensure your return is filed accurately. We anticipate these software updates being available after February 15, 2024. Please log into your program after this date, and update your software if you are using the desktop product, (for online products, this happens automatically). Proceed through and review your Massachusetts return, and re-transmit your return.

MA return rejected error

😃Mine was finally accepted today!!  (After 2 weeks.)   I use the online version, so automatic update on 2/15.

mark-fl

MA return rejected error

{deleted comment}

MA return rejected error

My return was finally accepted last night and now I am waiting for it to be processed and get my return. The error messaging by turbotax definitely needs work, this was a mess. It wasn't clear when I should come back and when the software was actually updated. And many of us got error messages for other states! Do better.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies