turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kubinskj30
Returning Member

Lost .tax file

My 2019 .tax file was lost along with a 2018 amended .tax file. I have my 2019 1040 and NYS IT-201 basic form print outs with none of the work sheets. I use the cd/download format. I understand turbotax does not keep records from these users. I just need to move forward with what I have. I need to amend my 2019 tax return and then start working on my 2020 tax returns. What is the most efficient way to do this? Use 2019 turbotax and rebuild that file then amend that data and complete my 2020 taxs from there?

Thanks so much in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Lost .tax file

it depends on what you are amending. however, if you printed out the returns then all the forms and schedules necessary to recreate 2019 should be present.  if you need more detail you might be able to get a transcript from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Request Online

What You Need

To register and use this service, you need:

• your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return,
  • access to your email account,
  • your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
  • a mobile phone linked to your name (for faster registration) or ability to receive an activation code by mail.
Kubinskj30
Returning Member

Lost .tax file

I got a form 2439 a couple days after I filed so I have to do an amendment.  I only printed out form 1040 and IT-201 but none of the rest of the forms or schedules. I appreciate the transcript tip this should help. Would the transcript from 2019 have everything I need to use turbotax 2020 to ammend my 2019 and continue with my 2020 returns from there?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Lost .tax file

Per the IRS,  transcripts are best and most often used to validate past income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications and to help with tax preparation.

Get Transcript FAQs

The IRS Get Transcript includes the following:

Transcript Types

We offer the following transcript types at no charge to you:

• Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items including your adjusted gross income (AGI) from your original Form 1040-series tax return as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn't show changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans. Note: the secondary spouse on a joint return must use Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T to request this transcript type. When using Get Transcript by Mail or phone, the primary taxpayer on the return must make the request.

You can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. from the IRS.

I have also included instructions on how to Amend your 2019 tax return below:

How do I amend my 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies