Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Long term capital gain treated as ordinary income.

@gagan5987 wrote:

Income is 255 K and it added 8 K more. my understanding is it supposes to be calculated tax for 1088 another way. 

You are subject to the NIIT (net investment income tax) of 3.8% which would be calculated on the entire $8,167.00.

Regardless, as I believe has been mentioned already, you should simply enter the transactions and let the program do the calculations.

Howardnj

turbotax deluxe appears to never have asked me how long i held my capital gain.  i filled my taxes last year with $54K in capital gains that i held over a year but turbo tax never allowed me to tell the software that i held it over a year.  also turbotax incorrectly never filled out the Schedule D capital gains/loses form which is also incorrect.  i am trying to ammend my taxes but again turbotax does not allow me to say that this capital gain was held over a year.

You should be able to select "long term" from the dropdown list.

@Howardnj wrote:

turbotax deluxe appears to never have asked me how long i held my capital gain.  i filled my taxes last year with $54K in capital gains that i held over a year but turbo tax never allowed me to tell the software that i held it over a year.  also turbotax incorrectly never filled out the Schedule D capital gains/loses form which is also incorrect.  i am trying to ammend my taxes but again turbotax does not allow me to say that this capital gain was held over a year.

"TurboTax incorrectly never filled out the Schedule D"

What product did you use--desktop Deluxe (CD/download) or Online Deluxe (web version?)   Desktop Deluxe (CD/download) can handle capital gains and Schedule D, but Online Deluxe cannot.   If you used Online TurboTax, that requires Premier or higher for capital gain reporting.

Did you have sales?  How/where did you enter the 1099B?   

MV731

same

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies