Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ma6878
Returning Member

Lock in discount

I have a federal, non-resident state and resident state return. I havent got my 1099-B forms and cannot complete the federal and non-resident state return just yet. TT asks me to complete the non-resident state return and then start the resident state return. 

I want to be able to pay and lock in the discount TT is offering. However I cant because I cant start my resident state return. Any way to go around this?

If I start the resident state return and then make changes that impact the non-resident return, am I in trouble? Why doesnt TT just update the tax credit on the resident state return if anything changes on the non-resident state return. Like how difficult would that be from a programmatic standpoint.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Lock in discount

Are you able to fill in the resident state tax return, pay for TurboTax, then delete the resident state tax return and start over?

You are able to delete a state tax return by clicking the trashcan to the right of the state tax return at the screen Status of your stat returns.

TurboTax recommends preparing the nonresident tax return first, then the resident state tax return.  This TurboTax Help explains the resident/nonresident tax return issue.

Tip: To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the nonresident return first if filing in multiple states because your resident state might give you a credit for any taxes paid in that situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ma6878
Returning Member

Lock in discount

From everything I read on this forum, it appears you cant delete a state return after you pay. It has been mentioned that you can reset and start over though. I just want to confirm that is the case before I pay.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Lock in discount

Were you able to solve your issue? 

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies