Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnewbury

Locality name is blank on my W2. What should I put there?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

It depends. Box 20 provides a brief description of the local, city, or other state tax being paid. The description may recognize a certain city, or a state tax like State Disability Insurance (SDI) payments.

Box 20 on a W-2 is usually left blank in areas where such communities don't assess any local income tax. TurboTax would only be asking you to put something in Box 20 if you had entries in boxes 18 and 19 as well.

If you had a locality tax for some reason withheld, but you don't have a local tax return filing requirement, you can just put the state initials in Box 20 of the state where the locality/city for which this withholding is associated  (you would also choose this same state in the dropdown box "Associated State").

However, if you are required to file a locality/city tax return (or possibly requesting a refund for these taxes (if available)), you will want to contact the company that provided your W-2 and request this locality information.

You may want to contact your local city tax department to check if you have a local/city filing requirement. You will also be able to obtain any local/city tax return forms through your city tax department for the city where these taxes have been withheld.

Since each state and local government has it's own filing requirements. Here is a link to each state's Department of Revenue that may be of help:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

What do I put under Locality Name if my W2G is blank?

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

If leaving it blank didn't work, you can try entering the city, or county or state initials where you won.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies