turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Please help me fill out the w4. I am a dependent and I feel like none of this applies to me.

I am in college and I am a dependent of my mother. I file taxes to get my refund and I file as single. I recently got a new job and need to fill out the W4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate... I have no idea how to fill this out because I am a dependent. Do I just put 0 next to all eight boxes? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Please help me fill out the w4. I am a dependent and I feel like none of this applies to me.

At the bottom of the W-4, mark the Single box and put a zero on Line 5, the other lines don't need to be filled in (except for your name, address, ss# etc.).  That way you'll get a refund at the end of the year, rather than risk owing money.

Don't bother filling in that top portion that has the worksheet, its not needed, just fill out the bottom portion (the actual W-4).
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Ewyllen

Lisa995 has provided a response within the detail request area above which should assist in resolving your issue. For yours and others convenience that information is reposted below.

" At the bottom of the W-4, mark the Single box and put a zero on Line 5, the other lines don't need to be filled in (except for your name, address, ss# etc.).  That way you'll get a refund at the end of the year, rather than risk owing money.

Don't bother filling in that top portion that has the worksheet, its not needed, just fill out the bottom portion (the actual W-4).
"

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies