Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"license linked to another account" - No way to use other 4 licenses I purchased.... Mad as heck.

Just talked to support. I purchased a 5 license copy of Turbotax.  In years past, my kids (living with me) all used this. They created their own turbotax accounts. 

Now, Turbotax says, "license linked to another account" and my kids have to log in to MY account --- which I will never let them do.

So, Please, TurboTax, tell me... how in the world can we ever use the other 4 turbo tax licenses.... Because.... I don't know ANYONE who completes 5 personal tax returns for themselves.

This is sneaky and underhanded. Mad as heck.

I would NEVER have purchased Turbotax 5 license edition if I had known this.

How do I use the other 4 licenses? It seems to be an impossibility.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

"license linked to another account" - No way to use other 4 licenses I purchased.... Mad as heck.

You can install Turbo Tax on 5 computers YOU OWN. You would have to give them your online account info to activate the program. But they will not see your info and returns. The returns are only kept on the computer they were done on. They are not stored or saved on Turbo Tax online.  They can still use their account to efile their own returns. 

See this FAQ for why do I need to sign in to an Intuit Account this year? And how to Install and Activate
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/license-information/install-turbotax-cd-...

Post on installing on family and friend's computer. See 2 employee answers,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-if-two-or-more-families-file-under-one-turbota...

I assure you,  I own all the computers.  No I'm not installing my Intuit account on anything else because that's tied to QuickBooks,  etc. 

I've already returned the product to Costco.  I'm not going to deal with this insanity.  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The TurboTax user license allows one user to install copies of TurboTax on up to five computers that the user owns. You can also prepare multiple returns, including returns for other people. But the license does not allow, and has never allowed, one copy to be shared among different people.  This year, that license is being enforced by requiring users to log into their TurboTax online account when they install the program for the first time. This locks one particular copy of the program and one license code to one user account. The only way you could install the program on a computer that you do not own, would be to give the other person your online username and password. And even though that workaround might allow the installation, it’s still a violation of the license.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Logging into your online account won't affect anything else like QuickBooks etc.  You only have to log into the same online account to install and activate the program.  Then to file a return you can use your own account and they use their own accounts.  And the returns are only on the computer that filed it.  They are not in the online account so no one else can see your return, unless they use your computer.

If you don't want to give them your account info to install it then you enter your account on the computer to install and Activate it.  They won't see your account username or password and won't see any of your personal info or returns, etc.  

As stated,  i own am the computers

But I'm not a tax professional. Seems this rule is geared towards tax professionals only. 

Don't say it's good for 5 returns when only a tax professional  is capable of utilizing the other 4 licenses. 

I'm done with these stupid licensing games.  I already returned this to Costco.  Very generous return policy. 

Intuit can get someone else's business. Not mine. 

anna20241

1000% agree. Predatory behavior to say the least. Just called customer service and with their new policies, they can enjoy their products themselves! Heading to one of the competitors who still have some decency. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies