Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

opsdad51

lawsuit settlement

I'm trying to figure out how to file a claim for this lawsuit. I have been using turbo tax since filling in 2003 tax year. Every year I get mad because I would buy the software and still pay filing fee's to Oklahoma and federal taxes forms.

Can I get the link to file for my claim, please email the link to [email address removed]

Thank you

Anthony F. Edwards

[phone number removed]

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

lawsuit settlement

Ok ... so when you use the downloaded software there is always an extra fee to efile the state.  Or do you buy a downloaded program but use the online program  by mistake and pay the online fees as well ... if you do that you cannot sue yourself for the mistake.

And no one on this TT public forum will tell you how to "sue"  them so look elsewhere for that information if it exists.  

lawsuit settlement

Turbotax has always been "free to start" but your final price depends on the forms you need.  It's only ever free for the most simple types of returns.  And before you ever got bumped up to a paid version, there was an on-screen notification and you were free to back out and find another tax provider.

The settlement covers 2014-2018 and deals with two specific issues:

1.  The IRS free file program allows free filing for incomes under $34,000 even if the tax return requires complicated forms.  Turbotax charges for tax returns that are not simple, but could have been free under the IRS free-file program (under $34,000 income).  Here, the problem was that if you went through the regular Turbotax web site, you paid based on complexity.  If you had a complicated return that should have been free because your income was less than $34,000, you needed to use a web site with a slightly different name, and this was argued to be confusing and misleading.

2. If you started in regular Turbotax and wanted to switch to the IRS free file version, you had to start over from scratch, you couldn't just migrate the information you already entered.  This was argued to be a disincentive, to discourage people from switching to the free IRS version even if they qualified.  

If you paid turbotax fees for tax years 2014-2018 and your income was under $34,000, Turbotax will contact you to issue a refund.  For other years or higher incomes, you are not covered by the settlement. 

Currently, Turbotax offers free filing for simple returns, and paid filing for everyone else, and they no longer participate in the IRS free filing program for low income taxpayers.  If you qualify for this program, you can find a list of participating providers on the IRS web site. 

lawsuit settlement

see this link. you should have to do nothing.  max refund $30/year for 2016-2018. other years are not covered.

mjt0220

lawsuit settlement

I have used Turbo Tax for many years. I was always charged a fee so I may continue.  You indicated this service was free. WHY WAS I CHARGED??  I  wish to take part in the Law Suit against you for this act of fraud. How do I enter this action?  Get back to me IMMEDIATELY!

mjt0220

lawsuit settlement

In addition to the charges assessed me the amount of money on my federal income you stated was incorrect.   I thought you were professionals. I guess the joke is on me!!!!

lawsuit settlement

the refund is automatic

lawsuit settlement

Turbotax relies on the accuracy of input to produce an accurate return.  most of the time when a refund is reduced or a taxpayer owes additional taxes it's because they missed something or entered an inaccurate amount.  common are the EIPs and advanced child tax credit.  if you believe Turbotax miscalculated your taxes which cost you penalties and or interest you can file a claim. you are still the one responsible for any additional taxes. 

lawsuit settlement

there are two types of errors that can occur, both result in incorrect tax returns, but the root cause of the incorrect tax return is very, very different

1) the software may be 'buggy'. if  the software doesn't correctly reflect the IRS rules, the tax return can be incorrect and could result in penalties and interest for underpaying taxes.  The Turbo Tax guarentee covers this situation (but the user is still responsible for the tax underpayment, but TT will cover penalties and interest). 

2) the taxpayer enters the information incorrectly.  Entering the information incorrectly results in the tax return being incorrect and could result in penalties and interest for underpaying taxes (let alone the underpayment itself).  The Turbo Tax guarentee doesn't cover 'user error'.

lawsuit settlement

@mjt0220 There is no lawsuit for you to enter.   There has been a settlement agreement reached and if you are one of the covered consumers you will automatically receive a payment.

The settlement agreement covers users who used TurboTax in 2016, 2017 or 2018.   If you are one of the affected users you will receive about $30 for each of those years in which your income was $34,000 or less and in which you started in the Free Edition and were upgraded to a paid version of the software.

"Covered Consumer" means any individual, or individuals if a joint return was filed, who in Tax Years 2016, 2017, or 2018 was (1) eligible to use an Intuit IRS Free File Product; (2) began his or her tax returns using a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (3) was informed that he or she was ineligible to use a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (4) subsequently paid to use a TurboTax Paid Product, and (5) had not used the Intuit IRS Free File Product in a previous tax year.

You do not have to “sign up” or get on a list.   The payments will be sent out automatically to the affected users.   We do not know yet how soon the payments will be sent.

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/money-verify/turbotax-settlement-you-do-not-have-to-m...

https://www.newsweek.com/intuit-turbotax-settlement-cheated-customers-refunded-lawsuit-restitution-1...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies