Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sskr
Returning Member

Last year with TT

I am totally disappointed with TT. Every year they create so much distress in people using the software. I have been using the Deluxe version for the last 9 year and this will be the last year I bought the CD and I will switch to some other software provider from 2019 tax year.

Why should I create an account and store my information with intuit for downloading my 1099 when I buy your software at a cost and install it on my computer ????????

I fail to understand why I should share my private information with anyone else especially if I am using a paid software !!!

Adios TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Last year with TT

No data is stored at TurboTax.  The account requirement this year is *additional* security to protect your data.

When you import data from your brokerage, it is never a direct connection between your computer and the brokerage, it must pass through TurboTax servers as encrypted data.  The brokerage is a partner with TurboTax, not you, for imports.  When you import, you are doing it through TurboTax servers.    It is always that way.   In the past, the TurboTax server just passed the data from the brokerage to you.  This year they introduced additional security so that instead of just passing data, they want to verify that it is actually *you* that is requesting the data.   It is not to *get* your data (that must pass through the TurboTax server anyway) but to add extra *protection* to your data.

Because of news worthy hacking and public concerns about data security, many software companies are adding all kinds of additional security, two level login's with a code sent to your e-mail or text message to cell phone for verification.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Last year with TT

Of course, you could avoid *any* connection with the TurboTax servers simply by manually entering the 1099 data.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
sskr
Returning Member

Last year with TT

This is not acceptable. I still don't understand why would I create an account in intuit? So yo want to track who is using your software ? It also says you can use the same information in Mint and other products ! Are you kidding … why would anyone expose themselves to so many vulnerabilities.

Last year with TT

Welcome to life in the year 2019 !

As noted, just enter the data manually and don’t download if you would prefer not to have an account

The additional security is for our protection and in fact because of it I am more likely to continue using TT in the future

pS I assume you do ‘t File electronically to protect your data????
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies