Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KOREAN unemployment -- not matching TurboTax Deluxe questions

I intend this to be the last time I ask about this but I am now in the middle of filing.

US Expat. Income = FEIE. Got Korean government unemployment benefits in 2023.

Was told I could do it in TurboTax and pretend like I got a 1099-G (which I don't think will work but advise). [See first screenshots]

Was told I could say I have unemployment without a 1099-G but it leads to the third screenshot in which none of the three categories match my foreign unemployment.

(I was also told that I could put it as "Other Income"/Misc Income but I'm not so sure about what to do now).

Please see these screenshots and perhaps whatever screens may come next so I don't have to ask any follow-ups.

TIA.  @pk @Opus 17 @DoninGA 

Page 1Page 1Page 2 if you select no 1099-GPage 2 if you select no 1099-GPage 3 if you select you received other uncommon unemployment benefits.Page 3 if you select you received other uncommon unemployment benefits.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

See my two replies to your earlier post of the same question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-korean-foreign-unemployment-how-to-report/01/3...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-korean-foreign-unemployment-how-to-report/01/3...

Entering it as if you got a 1099-G is going to result in questions that don't apply because you did not get a 1099-G. But if you want to continue with that, in your third screen shot enter it as Private Fund Unemployment. I don't think it really matters which of the three boxes you enter it in, because they all end up in the same place on your tax return. I still recommend that you enter it as other income, following the instructions I gave you in the earlier reply, for the reason stated there.

@rjs I am considering entering it as Miscellaneous Income as you said as I always have some random things to throw in there. But, for whatever reason, one of the first things it asked me was about unemployment and it has that option for unemployment "without a 1099-G" which ultimately leads to those three choices. So I either have to put the amount in one of those three (as you said will probably lead to the same line anyway) or to do it as Misc. Income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies