Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Just Retired

Hi, I just retired. If I am understanding this right then I would receive a 1099 from my retirement plan, right?


Also I am now paying a premium for my medical insurance. Can I claim that money?


Thank you in advance!


2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Just Retired

Hi, Tmoehring,

Congratulations on your retirement!!  Yes, you will get a 1099-R for your retirement plan distribution.  Usually that money is federally taxable (state tax rules get a little more complicated). If you haven't already, you may wish to consider having tax withholding done by the payor.


As to your health insurance premiums, deducting them can be one of the big perks of self-employment. This article will tell you more. If you are not self-employed, you can deduct them as an itemized deduction if you meet the requirements and they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  Here is more detail.  However, that deduction will only benefit you if you have enough itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction.  These days, most people take the standard deduction.


Cheer this answer with a thumbs up!

Have a great day and enjoy the next phase!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 2

Just Retired

Thank you and yes taxes continue to be paid like when I was working.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies