Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

No, you can't edit Form 8949.  It's prepared by TurboTax from your 1099-B entries.  You need to go back and EDIT your 1099-B entries.

Type '1099-b' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1099-B'.

At the 'Your Investment Sales Summary' page you can Edit/Review the entry you need to change. 

Here's more info on How to Enter 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BMadr

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

Having similar issue...during smart check it asks me to input state for form 2441...but the location is abroad so I cannot simply enter it during smart check.

I've tried countless times to access the questionnaire again, but it doesn't let me proceed to where I had entered the information.

JB713

Yeah, I can’t even post income from the end of last year… it won’t let me save it. What’s the deal? Seems like a huge headache for paid app services. We even paid for the accountant and they just kind of half-@$$ tell you what to do over the phone… They don’t really DO much, and right now I can’t DO anything having to do with 2022… which is frustrating. I don’t get a lot of time to do this and the time I allot for it is spent realizing what I can’t do.

Yes. I was finishing up with the state taxes, and wanted to add my union dues. Turbo tax told me that I have to amend my return, even before I filed it. I didn't understand why I had to amend it when I haven't filed it yet

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can go back to any section using the topic search feature. Go to My Tools > Tools > Topic Search (bottom-left of your screen). Then type the section or form that you need to update in the search box and click Go.

Gofast420
Returning Member

I'm also trying to edit something on a lumpsum worksheet and it won't let me go to the worksheet

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

A lot of the worksheets take numbers from other sources and use them.  The system won't let you edit it because then the numbers would no longer agree on the tax return.  You need to use @LindaS5247 's advice above and find the source of the number that you would like to change and change it at the source, not on the uneditable worksheet.

@Gofast420 

TURBO TAX is the worst program.  It will not allow me to edit an entry or make changes - I had to print the damned thing out and do it manually and mail it - THIS PROGRAM IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND SUCKS!

THIS PROGRAM IS WORTHLESS - I TOO FOUND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO EDIT AN ENTRY ON SCHEDULE C - ENDED UP GOING ON LINE TO IRS TYPING IN THE INFO AND MAILING MY TAX RETURN.  TURBO TAX WAS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.  NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY IT.

Joker1967

I am having same problem. On other misc expenses it put for some reaso 459000 instead of what I put. I try to edit, change number and the total does not change

Dumonsters
Returning Member

I've used Turbo Tax Deluxe for years but this is the last year. I need to edit the investment sales summary which "needs review" and that means I have to go to the form. There should an edit or delete button. If I wanted to complete forms myself I wouldn't have purchased Turbo Tax. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you seeing this screen and then finding that you need to upgrade to TurboTax Online Premium?

This comparison shows that Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses may be reported on TurboTax Premium  but not TurboTax Deluxe.

In TurboTax Online Premium, I am able to click the blue Review button, review the entries and prepare the tax return for electronic filing.

Dur1anpass1onfru1t
Returning Member

When you see the investment summary, I used to edit but there is no such choice. It is like a PDF file.  Can someone help? I called the Tubo Tax, they spent more than an hour no effect and no solution. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You can edit the investment summary. You may have an issue with the size of your display.

Are you using a Mac computer? Some Mac users are reporting that they can't see the edit button on the investment summary screen.

The Investment Sales Summary page in TurboTax for Mac does include an Edit button at the far right. If "Needs Review" appears, the edit button will be to the right of it.

To adjust the resolution on your screen, you could try the steps on this Apple Support page:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Select the display you want to adjust, then select the resolution you want to use. You may be able to turn on “Show all resolutions” to see additional resolutions for the display.

Depending on how you adjust the resolution, some app windows may not fit entirely on the screen. Using a scaled resolution may affect performance.

In the alternative, you could hook up a separate monitor to your Mac.

The investment sales entry section (significantly redesigned this year) isn't working properly. 

I entered a couple 1099-B sales. The second sales entry didn't reflect the adjusted cost basis that I provided. Now, I can't go back and edit that sales info. Also, I can't seem to add additional sales for that brokerage.

Every time I re-enter the investment sales section, the software creates a new, untitled brokerage/service entry, which a frozen screen tags with a red "needs review".

What's going on? The investment sales section is a mess.  How can I edit sales entries? Help, please!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies