Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sminezawa

It's telling me to sign and date form 8879 -k within a day of acceptance. How would I e-file it? Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Patrice

It's telling me to sign and date form 8879 -k within a day of acceptance. How would I e-file it? Thanks!

This is an e-file Signature Authorization, which is not used when you do a self-prepared return in Turbotax.

Form 8879 is not used when you file your tax return yourself with TurboTax. You don't have to authorize yourself to file your own tax return. Form 8879 is used only to authorize a paid tax preparer to file your return for you. If someone is asking you for Form 8879, either they think you paid someone to do your tax return, or they don't understand how tax returns are filed.

Form 8879 is not included in TurboTax because it is never used when you file with TurboTax. You could try explaining to the person who's asking for it that you filed by yourself. If that doesn't work, and you'd rather just make them happy instead of trying to convince them, here's what you could do. Download the form from the IRS web site. Fill in the top part, and parts I and II. Print the filled-in form and sign Part II. Make a photo copy of the signed form and give the copy to whoever is asking for it.

I am having the same issue.  No one is asking for this.  Turbo tax is TELLING us in the "What you need to file" section:  Sign and date Form 8879-K within 1 day of acceptance. Since you are married filing jointly, your spouse must also sign and date the form.

we get this right after e-filing
Komar

If this is not required for filing via turbotax , why would even turbotax confuse people by mentioning it in the mailing instructions?

Why is the instruction sheet telling me to ‘sign and date Form 8879-K within 1 day of acceptance’ when my state return says that I am SELF-PREPARING.   i have looked at the the state return Info sheet-- in Section VI it has the box checked "Yes" for using Federal PINs in place of Form 8879-K.  In Section VII, it has the name of the financial institution, the routing #, and the account #.   But, when I look at Form 8879, in Section II - Direct Deposit of Refund, the box for Direct Deposit of Refund is NOT checked, the routing no. is NOT filled in in line 6,  the account no. is NOT filled in in line 7, and the box for the type of account in line 8 is NOT checked.  In addition, in line 12, the box for "I do NOT want direct deposit of my refund or am not receiving a refund" IS checked.  This is in direct contradiction to the state Info Worksheet where this information is provided.  I understand that Form 8879-K is for situations when there is a paid tax preparer.  So, why is there a Form 8879-K available AT ALL when I am SELF-PREPARING and why am I instructed to sign and date the form??  It doesn't make sense. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The software does not ask you for the federal 8879 that is used by tax preparers.

The KY rules say: 8879-K - Kentucky Department of Revenue:

Complete Form 8879-K. Attach the Kentucky copy of Forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R; any documents verifying credit amounts; any schedules explaining “Other” adjustments to income; and any documents with required signatures. Keep Form 8879-K with your tax return.

@kamull01 You are right. As long as the information is correctly entered for your bank account, you are fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Vol Pike

I keep getting emails to sign my return. I signed it and submitted it. Then I submitted an 8879 and still get emails to sign my return. What should I do now?
Vol Pike

BTW, I failed to mention that I had a paid TurboTax preparer do my return

Well that is a horse of a different color ... you did NOT use TT to file your return since paid tax pros cannot use the TT program.   

You employed a third party tax pro (thru the TT system) to prepare your tax return and they cannot efile a return until they have the signed 8879 in hand ... follow the paid tax pro's directions and/or call them if you do not understand what they need you to do.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies