Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dflocust

It is required that I file a copy of my 1099-R form in Pennsylvania. How do I attach it? If I can't do that, how do I efile my Fed and mail my State?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It is required that I file a copy of my 1099-R form in Pennsylvania. How do I attach it? If I can't do that, how do I efile my Fed and mail my State?

No...if you e-file you do not have to attach the actual 1099-R form to send to PA or any other state.  You just need to make sure you have entered your 1099-R data in the Federal section....ANNND...then, during the PA section interview, you identify what pension/retirement type the 1099-R distribution  came from

BUT..the IRS or state occasionally pull e-filed tax returns  out and later ask the taxpayer to send them those forms to check up on what you e-filed.....or if they expect you mis-reported the data on the form.  So you do have to keep your paper copies of your tax documentation for (Say) 7 years or more  (We always debate on exactly how long)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I know, the software tells you during the interview that you need to send in your 1099R and 1099MISC but fails to mention that it is not necessary if you efile, the efile section is silent on this PA issue.  Been that way for years and TT had done little to add clarification.
dflocust

Thank you. For several years, I did file it online. But, last year they sent me a letter requesting a copy of my 1099R before they issued my (extremely small) refund. It took until the summer to receive it and they lost my first copy. Hopefully, mine was one that was pulled and it won't happen again.

I have prepared my father-in-laws PA taxes for 25+ years and he has never been asked for a copy of his 1099-R. Probably just a SNAFU on the state's part.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies