Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It is forcing me to entire "Year end HSA value" from a 5329-T form. I do not have such a form. It will not let me file. What should I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

It is forcing me to entire "Year end HSA value" from a 5329-T form. I do not have such a form. It will not let me file. What should I do?

There are at least two major reasons why you might be in this situation. One is that you don't have an HSA and don't know why you are here, and the second is that you might have an HSA but were tripped up by a confusing question in the HSA interview.

Let's assume that you don't have an HSA. You probably answered "Family" or "Self" to the question "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2017?" If you answered Family or Self, then TurboTax thought that you had an HSA.

***#1***

If you don't have an HSA (and didn't in 2017), then go back to the 2017 question I referred to above and answer "None", because this question does not apply to you.

If you still can't get through the Review at the end, then please go to the ***HSA Reset*** section at the bottom.

***#2***

If, on the other hand, you did have an HSA in 2017, then this 2017 question may or may not apply to you. If you don't have the 5329 from 2017, then just answer zero to the 5329 box.

Under some circumstances, you can legitimately bypass this question by answering "None" if any of the following is true (because the last-month would not apply to you):

• You had HDHP coverage for every month in 2017
  • You had HDHP coverage for every month in 2018
  • You made no HSA contributions in 2017
  • You had no HDHP coverage in 2017

One other alternative...if you indeed had HDHP coverage for every month in 2018 (and no Medicare) and you are still getting this message when you answer "Family" or "Self" to "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2017?", then perhaps the best thing to do is to delete all HSA information and start over.

***HSA Reset***

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies