Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hjlab120

It blocks me from completing e-filing with the message "Check this entry." It says "UT withholding ID must be 14 ch long (...)", even I had no error scanning my W2 pdf.

I am a UT resident, a full-time student hired by the school. The app keeps on saying that "UT withholding ID must be 14 characters long without hyphens, you must go back to federal W2 to update the employer state withholding ID." But there was no error when I scanned my W2 file and rechecked it over and over.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

It blocks me from completing e-filing with the message "Check this entry." It says "UT withholding ID must be 14 ch long (...)", even I had no error scanning my W2 pdf.

@hjlab120 

For some reason the filing won't accept the final 3 letters in upper case:

For Utah......in any place or form where you entered (or scanned-in) that ID number.:

1)  NO dashes

2)  delete the entire Utah ID number....

.........click in another box,

...............then click in the ID number box again and retype the  number, BUT, the final 3 letters must be lower case ,,,,, wth 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
hjlab120

Great! Thank you so much!

LAL19

I had the same issue. I tried the other recommendations, but they didn't work for me. I ended up opening the forms and manually editing the form that was having issues (TC-40W). In the field where the there should only be the 14 characters that end in WTH, I noticed that the field started with UT. I double clicked in the field and removed UT, closed the form and it worked. Hope this helps!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The 14 digit state id number (for Utah) should be formatted as 11 digits followed by 'wth' with no hyphens or apostrophes.    Example:   12345678901wth

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LAL19

I correctly entered the 11 digits followed by wth in the field when manually entering a W-2. However, TurboTax automatically adds "UT " in front of the 11 digits + wth, so the check fails. I spent way too much time deleting and reentering the form because I thought I was entering something wrong. After reviewing the actual "Form", I realized that the issue was a bug in the TurboTax code. I now remember having this same issue last year. Hoping TurboTax takes note and fixes it for next year.

This was TurboTax Deluxe purchased on CD.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The 14 digit state id number (for Utah) should be formatted as 11 digits followed by wth with no hyphens.    Example:   12345678901wth    @LAL19

The 2 digit state code UT will show up in the first section of Box 15 and the 14 digit state code should be entered in the State ID portion of Box 15.   See image below.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Try removing the "H" due to form already includes the letter H for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies