turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ISO and Amount Subject to AMT ?

I exercised ISO last month, our company is Not a public traded company yet so I do not know the real value of the stock.

I received a statement, main numbers are below:

Cost Basis -- $10,500

Taxable Compensation: $0.00

Amount Subject to AMT: $33,000

Do I need to add $33,000 while calculating AMT for the estimated tax? Does the company think the stock real value is much higher so they added $33,000 to the AMT?

Thanks,

Mac

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exercising an ISO is treated as income solely for the purpose of calculating the alternative minimum tax (AMT), but is ignored for the purpose of calculating the regular federal income tax. The spread between the fair market value of the stock and the option's strike price is included as income for AMT purposes. This inclusion of the ISO spread in AMT income is triggered only if you continue to hold the stock at the end of the same year in which you exercised the option.

If the stock is sold within the same year as exercise, then the spread does not need to be included in your AMT income.

I'm not sure whether they're saying the spread is $33,000 or the FMV is $33,000 and since you paid $10,500 the spread is $22,500

check with your company.  as to the value of the stock, ask them how they came up with the value. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exercising an ISO is treated as income solely for the purpose of calculating the alternative minimum tax (AMT), but is ignored for the purpose of calculating the regular federal income tax. The spread between the fair market value of the stock and the option's strike price is included as income for AMT purposes. This inclusion of the ISO spread in AMT income is triggered only if you continue to hold the stock at the end of the same year in which you exercised the option.

If the stock is sold within the same year as exercise, then the spread does not need to be included in your AMT income.

I'm not sure whether they're saying the spread is $33,000 or the FMV is $33,000 and since you paid $10,500 the spread is $22,500

check with your company.  as to the value of the stock, ask them how they came up with the value. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies