turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a single mother with one child. If my roommate claims my son as a deduction, can I still file head of household and get the EIC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a single mother with one child. If my roommate claims my son as a deduction, can I still file head of household and get the EIC?

Because you are not yet married and your fiancé is not the father, your fiancé can't claim your child if you file any tax return, even if you don't claim your child.

Also, you can't claim HOH unless you claim your child as a dependent.

Certain tax provisions allow for "splitting" the tax benefits of a dependent when the parents live apart and share custody, but that does not apply here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Is your "roommate" the other parent?  Why would you let your roommate claim your child as a dependent?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My roommate is my fiancé and provides support, he makes more money than me so it would be better for him to claim my son so he gets a bigger refund. He is not the father of my son, after we’re married he would be able to claim him as a qualifying child but right now he would be a qualifying relative which means he can’t claim head of household. I would get a bigger refund for getting the EIC but not claim him as a dependent. I just wanted to know I can claim head of household but not claim him as a dependent, I could still claim him for the EIC. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

Because you are not yet married and your fiancé is not the father, your fiancé can't claim your child if you file any tax return, even if you don't claim your child.

Also, you can't claim HOH unless you claim your child as a dependent.

Certain tax provisions allow for "splitting" the tax benefits of a dependent when the parents live apart and share custody, but that does not apply here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies