turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to move Turbotax to a different computer?

HI,

I am needing to move TurboTax to a new computer, but don't want to lose my tax documents and the current showing status. Is there a way to move it without losing the documents? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you are installing your desktop version of TurboTax on a new computer that you own, you can move your tax data file to that computer. So you'll have to save your current tax information as a tax data file first and then put it on either a portable hard drive or jump drive and move to the new computer that you install TurboTax on.

See this link How do I move my tax data file to another computer? for more details on how to do that. 

You'll also want to save a copy of that return as a PDF and you can keep that on the portable hard drive or jump drive. That way, if your tax data file ever gets corrupted or you don't have the TurboTax software to open that tax data file, you'll have that PDF copy. 

If you are not sure how to save your return as a tax data file, go here Save a Backup Copy of Your Tax File and select version of TurboTax that you are using and it will provide steps to do this. 

Thank you! Right now, I have the tax file and pdf version saved in Onedrive, is that way fine, or do I need to use USB?

You are welcome. Honestly, I'd recommend saving it on a USB drive as well and keep it in a safe place. But if you prefer OneDrive, there are security measures that you can put in place to help protect it there. See here for those security measures OneDrive file security and I would strongly recommend using those, if at all possible.

You don't want to risk your personal information getting into the wrong hands. Another option you may also want to look into is third party programs that offer encryption of OneDrive files for added security. You can never be too careful. Just make sure to do thorough research on those third party programs, if you decide you want to add encryption. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies