Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way for me to file my federal and state tax returns separately, since I already filed my federal ones through the IRS site?

After filing my federal tax returns, after struggling to figure out the state ones, I decided to use TurboTax to finish it up. However, because I already filed my federal taxes, the state taxes got rejected with the federal ones. If I can’t file them separately, is there anything I can do to not have them be rejected?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is there a way for me to file my federal and state tax returns separately, since I already filed my federal ones through the IRS site?

Since a federal tax return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS, you cannot e-file another federal tax return.  Nor can you e-file the state tax return because the federal return has not been e-filed using TurboTax.  The state tax return can only be printed and mailed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

I’ll have to try that. Thank you very much!

You can only efile state if Federal was efiled and accepted from the same account.  So you will have to print and mail state.

If you didn't use Turbo Tax for federal, There is a way but you first have to fill in the federal and pay for federal for it to flow to state.  You will have to mail state.  See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/can-i-prepare-and-file-just-my-state-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies