Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DC
Returning Member

Is the Value of Inherited Home reported as a Trust Distribution on 1041?

I inherited property from my mother's trust.  She passed away this year.  The trust is not selling the house, nor am I.  I have transferred the house from her trust to myself, as her Successor Trustee.  I am now working through the 1041.  In the section to report 1st and 2nd tier distributions, do I report the value of the house, along with the cash inheritance that I am reporting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Principal (corpus) of a trust is not reportable as either a first or second tier distribution (which distributions are virtually always items of income or gain).

Only items of income, gain, deduction, and credits are passed through on Schedule K-1. 

DC
Returning Member

So, if all trust income will be issued to one beneficiary, and is reported on their K-1 and the other beneficiary receives only a distribution of corpus and/or property, does that beneficiary also receive a K-1?  That second beneficiary would have no trust income to show and no tax due.

How is the IRS notified that a beneficiary received cash and/or property?

@DC wrote:

How is the IRS notified that a beneficiary received cash and/or property?

They are not notified since the distribution of principal (corpus) of a trust is not a taxable event for the purposes of federal income taxation.

If there is no income/gain, deductions, credits, to distribute, then there is no need to issue a K-1 (1041).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies