turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarthaL

Is it required for a Trust to pay estimates taxes if the taxes for the prev year are over $3000 or can the taxes be left to the beneficiaries at EOY on their K-1 forms?

Turbotax Business for the 1041 (first year) is telling me that the Trust doesn't have to pay estimated taxes in 2017 even though the Trust owes over $3000 tax for 2016 income. I feel the program should walk me through scenarios of what might be expected income in 2017 or tell me why, when we owed so much on rental income last year, that we don't have to pay any estimated taxes in 2017. The program says " A fiduciary must make estimated tax payments if the Trust's tax liability (income tax minus credits) is expected to be at least $1000.  Since the tax on Trust income is really high and we've gotten over $4000 in rent in just 2 months, is the program screwing up perhaps??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it required for a Trust to pay estimates taxes if the taxes for the prev year are over $3000 or can the taxes be left to the beneficiaries at EOY on their K-1 forms?

" Turbotax Business for the 1041 (first year)..."

The keywords are "first year". Clearly, a fiduciary must make estimated tax payments if the trust's tax liability is expected to be at least $1000, but there are exceptions, to wit:

Estimated tax payments aren't required from:

1. An estate of a domestic decedent or a domestic trust that had no tax liability for the full 12-month 2016 tax year;

View solution in original post

1 Reply

" Turbotax Business for the 1041 (first year)..."

The keywords are "first year". Clearly, a fiduciary must make estimated tax payments if the trust's tax liability is expected to be at least $1000, but there are exceptions, to wit:

Estimated tax payments aren't required from:

1. An estate of a domestic decedent or a domestic trust that had no tax liability for the full 12-month 2016 tax year;

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies