Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible to file only a state tax return and not a federal tax return?

I owned a corporation for about 6 weeks in 2018 and the state of CA is requiring that I file a tax return so that I can officially dissolve my business. The IRS is not requiring me to do anything but the state of CA needs the tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

No.    When you use TurboTax the information flows from your federal return to the state return.   You cannot prepare or file a "stand alone" state return using this software.  Try getting the forms from the state and preparing the return by hand, or prepare it on the state's site if the state allows it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

[removed by me]

Here's the problem: if you filed a 2018 return for any other personal income (W-2 job, investments, pension, prizes, scholarships in excess of tuition) then you can't just file a separate business return, you need to amend your 2018 return to include the business.  And that means you must also file an amended federal return that includes the business, even if you had no income, or your expenses exceeded your income and you closed the business. So don't take shortcuts, just file the amended 2018 federal and state return.

If you never filed a 2018 return because you had no other taxable income, and aren't required to file a return, then the only way to use Turbotax to file a California return is to prepare both the federal and state return, print and mail the state return, and discard the federal return.  You could possibly prepare a state return on your own without computer assistance using forms and instructions from the California FTB web site.

To use Turbotax, you can buy the 2018 version of turbotax Deluxe or Home & Business from this link, and download and install it on your computer.  The desktop version of Deluxe has all the self-employment forms, while the more expensive Home & Business version has more on-screen guidance. 

Products for previous tax years

My comment applies to 2020 only.

Oops. Sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies