turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jb0176

Is it possible to file as a part year resident through turbotax? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@ jb0176  asked:  "Is it possible to file as a part year resident through turbotax? If so, how?"

Are you asking about a part-year state return or the Federal return???

A part-year resident of what??--a state or the country?  i.e., are you a USA citizen?    Or are you a resident alien for tax purposes, or a non-resident alien?

jb0176

@mesquitebean thanks for the reply. Both - I'm not a citizen and I left the country permanently last year. Federal and NY state returns.

jb0176

@mesquitebean I pass the substantial presence test so I am a resident alien, but I am now permanently not a resident. 

Sorry, I'm not a tax person and can't help you with that situation.  However, I've asked someone familiar with international filing situations to assist you during the day. 

By the way, I just now see you have another thread on an aspect of this.  You could ask a follow up question there, if you wish, or keep watching this thread to see if you get help here.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/if-i-left-the-usa-during-the-tax-year-but-still-p...

@pk  Are you able to please assist this user when you are next in the forum. Thanks!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jb0176 , have gone through your interactions with @mesquitebean  and I am still unsure of the situation-- so I will list what I get  from this ( please correct me  or confirm my understanding )

1. you a citizen of another country, came here on a work visa ( or ? , what type ). when did you enter the USA /  Was this your only stay in the USA in the last three years ( 2018, 2019 and 2020 )

2. You have lived in the USA  long enough to meet the substantial  test  in 2020 ( exact date would be useful)-- see above questions

3.  It seems you have now gone back to your home country ( or another country ) but you had income from the USA during 2020

4. Because of the above  you  want to file as dual status person -- first part of the year 2020 as a resident and the  second  part ( which months  and did you have any US sourced income in those months  ? ).

I will await your answers before answering specifically to your situation.

However, in general  "can you use  TurboTax  to file a dual status return " --- you can kind of .  You can prepare the  Resident portion of the return using TurboTax, Print,  Hand print on page 1  "DUAL  STATUS RETURN ", date , sign.  Now go to the IRS site , download the  1040-NR, fill it out  ( it is a fillable  .pdf), print, sign date.    Now attach the  form 1040 ( Resident return ) and the  Non-Resident Return ( form 1040-NR ) and mail in the  whole  package to the IRS for your area.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies