Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone else having their 8911 form delayed?

This is my third time I am seeing it pushed back is this normal?

Being the third time I am seeing this pushed back, I am wondering if anyone else was able to complete it.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

It is currently delayed for everyone, in all versions of TurboTax.   It can be a normal occurrence this time of year.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

It is currently delayed for everyone, in all versions of TurboTax.   It can be a normal occurrence this time of year.   

Starting in 2023 you must live in an eligible census tract to claim a residential credit for an EV charger.  Eligible census tracts are mostly in rural areas or low-income areas.

Where do we check if we are in an eligible census tract? Shouldn't TT do that for us automatically?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may check here on the US Dept of Energy website. To help determine if an installation location is in a qualified census tract, see Argonne National Laboratory’s 30C Tax Credit Eligibility Locator tool and list of frequently asked questions. Select that link for further information. 

jpbMaine

I just got the same error - and I am not even qualifying for the alternative fueling credit!  We also installed solar this year and are getting a credit for that so we lose this credit because of the Tentative Min Tax threshold - but I still want t file now and get my refund.  So I just deleted from 8911 from my filing - and it let me go through.  I'll doublecheck when TT finally does the update to make sure I don't now qualify for some reason - in which case I'll amend my return.

Why does the turbotax website say it's available for filing then? https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is aware of issues with the Energy Credit and is working with Developers to resolve the issues.  The IRS made updates to Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit. TurboTax is planning to make updates around this by 03/02/2024. Please check back then to be sure you are eligible to receive this credit.

The 3/2/24 date has now moved for the third time to 3/6/24. This is getting ridiculous. Is TurboTax going to honor the $40 discount offered if you file by 2/29 sincecI I CAN'T file until this form is updated?

Why does the date keep changing?  We need a fix to this form ASAP.  I had my taxes ready to file since 02/14 and every week turbotax delays this update.  Please make this a priority to fix!

Same. I've been ready to file for weeks. Ridiculous.

I have been ready to file my taxes for a few weeks now but cannot due to the delay in Form 8911. This form has been delayed at least three times now with a March 6th date. I spoke to TT rep today and was told they are waiting on the IRS to update the form. I checked the IRS website and the form was updated in Jan 2024; never received an answer why it’s not updated in TT yet. According to the form on TT, I should receive a small credit for the purchase and install of my PHEV charger; however, when I looked at the IRS form online, I do not live in an eligible area so am not eligible for the credit. With that said, I know there are changes the IRS makes during this time. I then logged back into to TT to review my taxes, it now says my taxes are “ready to be filed” and it includes form 8911 with my small credit. At this point, I am not sure if I should file my taxes, delete form 8911 from my return or wait until March 6th?

Working now. Submission Successful. I wish TurboTax would have communicated better.

Turbotax is saying I am ineligible when I put my information in but this link is saying my area (newtown Square, PA) is considered non-urban and is eligible: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/3f67d5e82dc64d1589714d5499196d4f/page/Page/

Is anyone else experiencing this and if so what did you do? I do not want to leave money on the table if we are. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Please make sure you have run all updates to your TurboTax program as there have been recent changes to this form.  

If you are using TurboTax online your program will automatically update.  If you are using the desktop version you can check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. If you use a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. you will be prompted to download them.

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 did modify the credit for certain refueling property placed in service after 2022. Your property must be located in an eligible census tract in order to qualify. An eligible census tract for these purposes is not in an urban area.  

You can use the worksheet provided by the IRS to determine an Eligible census tract.

Click here for information on Form 8911.

Please click here for "What is Form 8911?"

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies