Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is an Unclaimed Property cash refund taxable as income on federal and state returns if it was a Certificate of Deposit?

Our bank surrendered my children's Certificate of Deposit's purchased by their grandfather (for their education expenses) due to "lack of activity" to the Unclaimed Property Division of the Michigan Dept. of Treasury. My son's CD was refunded with interest totalling $24.12. My daughter's was refunded without any interest. I, in turn, deposited both refunds (in their entirety) in each of their established MESP "529" accounts.

Do they need to report the total amount refunded to each by the State as "other reportable income" on their federal and state tax returns, or does just my son need to report the interest amount, even though he didn't receive a 1099-INT from the State of MI?

Are both children liable for interest earned on the original value of their CD while it was in possession of the bank? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Is an Unclaimed Property cash refund taxable as income on federal and state returns if it was a Certificate of Deposit?

You do not report the CDs as income, the state was just giving them what already belonged to them.  Your son should report the interest.  Because the amount is so small it does not require a Form 1099-INT.  If there was taxable interest on the CDs, then the bank should have reported it on a Form 1099-INT in the year the interest was earned, whether paid out or not.  I would not worry about any past interest.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You do not report the CDs as income, the state was just giving them what already belonged to them.  Your son should report the interest.  Because the amount is so small it does not require a Form 1099-INT.  If there was taxable interest on the CDs, then the bank should have reported it on a Form 1099-INT in the year the interest was earned, whether paid out or not.  I would not worry about any past interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies