rubydog007

Irs notice 703 If I am to file jointly and mine SSI is 20,000 and my wife's income is 60,000 what total do I put in line A?

In 2016 my age was 69.  I should know this but it is confusing to me for some reason

jerry2000
Alumni

When you use Turbotax, you ignore Notice 703 entirely. Turbotax does the calculation for you automatically. All that you have to do is to enter the Box 5 info from your SSA-1099 and turbotax does the rest. To enter your SSA-1099, just type   SSA-1099  into the search box, click Find , then click Jump to.

jerry2000
Alumni

To enter the SSA-1099
Try going to the search box by My Account and type in Social Security Benefits.  That will give you a Jump To link to take you directly to it.

OR Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099  under
Federal Taxes tab or Personal (for Home & Business version)
Wages and Income tab
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Update button

You shouldn't use the worksheet on the back of the SSA-1099. It can be complicated to figure out even though it looks simple. Turbo Tax figures it all out for you.  When you enter 1/2 of your ss on line B it is not being subtracted from anything.  It is being ADDED to ALL your other income to see if any of the ss will be taxable to you.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0