Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs notice 703 If I am to file jointly and mine SSI is 20,000 and my wife's income is 60,000 what total do I put in line A?

In 2016 my age was 69.  I should know this but it is confusing to me for some reason

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Irs notice 703 If I am to file jointly and mine SSI is 20,000 and my wife's income is 60,000 what total do I put in line A?

When you use Turbotax, you ignore Notice 703 entirely. Turbotax does the calculation for you automatically. All that you have to do is to enter the Box 5 info from your SSA-1099 and turbotax does the rest. To enter your SSA-1099, just type   SSA-1099  into the search box, click Find , then click Jump to.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you use Turbotax, you ignore Notice 703 entirely. Turbotax does the calculation for you automatically. All that you have to do is to enter the Box 5 info from your SSA-1099 and turbotax does the rest. To enter your SSA-1099, just type   SSA-1099  into the search box, click Find , then click Jump to.

To enter the SSA-1099
Try going to the search box by My Account and type in Social Security Benefits.  That will give you a Jump To link to take you directly to it.

OR Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099  under
Federal Taxes tab or Personal (for Home & Business version)
Wages and Income tab
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Update button

You shouldn't use the worksheet on the back of the SSA-1099. It can be complicated to figure out even though it looks simple. Turbo Tax figures it all out for you.  When you enter 1/2 of your ss on line B it is not being subtracted from anything.  It is being ADDED to ALL your other income to see if any of the ss will be taxable to you.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies