turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smom

Received 1099-INT for interest earned on delinquent CHILD SUPPORT. Do I have to claim that on my federal and/or state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Received 1099-INT for interest earned on delinquent CHILD SUPPORT. Do I have to claim that on my federal and/or state taxes?

Interest earned on delinquent child support is taxable. You must enter the form 1099-INT you receive in TurboTax.

In TurboTax, open your return and follow these steps:

• Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages and Income on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Income, locate the Interest and Dividends section
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Interest on 1099-INT (see attached screenshot).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi there! @MinhT 

I received the 1099-INT for this reason. I'm the custodial parent and received the overdue child support. When trying to enter the form on Turbo Tax, the box numbers and questions don't match what I'm seeing on the form I received. When I try to import from camera, it fails to recognize the form every time. I'm seeing Box 1 my SSN, Box 2 the interest income, and Box 3 Tax type: Not applicable.

Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thank you! 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Just go ahead and enter it manually.  It’s very easy to do if you follow the steps below, and you only have a few fields to enter.

If the fields on your 1099 don’t match what’s shown in the TurboTax program, don’t worry.  Just enter Interest in the field provided, and you’ll be fine.

To enter this interest in TurboTax Online: 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses
  4. Select Let’s get started, Pick up where you left off, or Review/Edit
  5. Scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto)
  6. Select Start or Revisit to the right of Interest on 1099-INT
  7. On the Your investments and savings screen, select Add investments
  8. On the Let's import your tax info screen, select Enter a different way
  9. On the OK, let's start with one investment type screen, select Interest, then Continue
  10. On the How would you like to upload your 1099-INT? screen, select Type it in myself
  11. Type in all available information, paying attention to the fields in the program rather than the box numbers on your form

@positivethinking

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies