Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skn1
Level 2

Installation limit of 5 computers

Hi,

I have 2019 Turbotax Deluxe license and possibly used the software on 2 separate computers to file 1 return.

I do not prepare returns for others from any other computer.

Now, my laptop with the software installed crashed.

And I have to reinstall the TT software on a temp computer for now and then finally on my new computer next week when it arrives.  All to do some analysis on 2019 vs 2020 taxes.

In the end, I hope to be within the limit of 5 but I do not know exactly know the number of installs already done right now.  On the temp computer, it is asking me to input the license code and I am not sure if I should wait for the final computer next week.

Question is -

Is there a way for me to know how many times I have installed the TT product?

How do I convey to TT that I have had computer issues requiring me to install again and therefore ignore the limit hopefully, in case I reach the limit of 5?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

OK, One opinion....see who else pipes  up:

Just work on the one computer for now for modelling, unless you are desperate.

1)  .....haven't heard of any way to know how many times you have used the code....other than your own memory.   Only Customer Support could issue replacement codes, should you exceed the limit.  I "think" they did that some last year for various user installation issues, but don't know if they continue to do so.  That's entirely up to them and their directions from management.

2) some software providers have a way to de-register computers and regain installation counts...so far, TTX has not gone that route....so you are back to #1.

3)  Complications:  Some users have found that they cannot yet install 2019 or  2020 TTX on brand new Windows computers, which all have the most recent Window 10, Rev 20H2 version as their base Windows installation.  2019 TTX software continued to work on older W10 machines if it was already installed before the particular computer was upgraded to rev 20H2, but wouldn't re-install on a NEW computer where Rev20H2 was the fully-native, starting OS version.  The symptom of this is that the TTX screen for inputting the Lisc code would be blank, and the user could not proceed further.    As a subtle difference, 2019 and 2020 appear to reinstall or install on W10 computers where the original W10 starting OS was a version prior to rev 20H2, even if they were updated to 20H2 later.  Apparently, both TTX and Windows software folks are aware of the situation...and at least the TTX folks are supposedly working on it  (One user who has experience with this problem has indicated that this week's 2020 TTX update didn't appear to fix the problem....though I don't know if they obtained an entirely new installation file...which might be needed in this situation).

Thus, you might not be able to get either 2019 or 2020 to install on the new computer right now, until TTX software folks fix the problem, or issue a separate fix file in their FAQ/Support pages.  Because of this...you might consider installing on the temp computer....it's just that I wouldn't do so If I didn't recall how many times I used the Lisc code.  (I have 2019 TTX on two computers also)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
skn1
Level 2

Thanks SteamTrain for your message.

I did go ahead and install it on my temp computer and will watch out on versions as stated by you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies