Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m9spencer

Injured spouse form for state unemployment compensation debts

I'm doing mine and my wife's taxes right now on TT and I'm trying to file for injured spouse for state unemployment compensation debts for myself from the state of Maine on our federal. I know for the state taxes, my wife (the injured spouse) has to call the state of Maine unemployment to request Injured spouse relief but for the federal, I'm not seeing unemployment compensation debts or anything like that in the questions as to why you'd like to request Injured spouse relief. I see it for fed taxes, state taxes, child support, school loans, etc.... I'm not however seeing anything about state unemployment compensation debts. Is it lumped together with one of the others? I know you can request relief for unemployment debts, I'm just not seeing it anywhere. Someone please help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ChristyW

Yes, the state unemployment is lumped together on box 3 of the Form 8379. TurboTax attempts to simplify the filing processing by breaking down the questions, therefore when you answer yes to either of these questions, they will end up on the same box on your federal Form 8379, that actually transmits or prints for the IRS. The appropriate box to check is the 3rd box (see screenshot).

m9spencer

I'm on the android version. Please see my above screenshots. I see where it says state unemployment compensation debts on yours, but not on the android version. Again, please see my above screenshots
ChristyW

I understand, this form is only an indication of what it will look like when the IRS receives your return. "TurboTax attempts to simplify the filing processing by breaking down the questions, therefore when you answer yes to either of these questions, they will end up on the same box on your federal Form 8379". You can select "state income tax".
m9spencer

Ok I get it now. So basically if I click yes on say like state income tax, when it goes to the irs, it basically gets transposed onto that box 3 anyways? And when it gets to the irs, they essentially know what I'm saying? Sorry if that's not the best analogy, but that's how I'm taking it. Am I correct in assuming that's how it goes in essence?
ChristyW

That was a great analogy, and that is how it goes.
m9spencer

Thank you so very very much! 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies