Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@worthen-angel my husband is on disability and they take the child support out of his disability checks. I am sorry that this happened to you.

Kacij2010

I file injured spouse every year and always get a partial refund with the othe part going to his arrears, I already received my return however all of mine and my three children's part of the stimulus went to his arrears as well, when I called and discussed it with that county's child support office they said we had to file a separate one specifically for the stimulus however I can not find the form.

FSUpsiren

Has the IRS realized the mistake and are they taking any active measures to rectify this huge error at this point?  There are a lot of people in the same boat. Just want to see if there is any definitive word that they have acknowledged the problem.  

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Please don't file another form, as the IRS has not yet released guidance on how to handle the garnishment of the stimulus in injured spouse cases. This may change in the future, but we haven't received any direction from them as of right now. You may consider calling them at 800 829 1040 when they reopen to see if they can offer you any direction. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So the Dept. Of Treasury Offset dept is aware of the problem and it is being fixed. You can not call the IRS at that number because they have suspended live service. You would think a tax expert would know that. People will get their money with in 8 to 10 weeks. Per The Dept. Of Treasury Offset Dept. 

@Tzwinge81  thank you! If they aware of it why will it take 8-10 weeks to rectify it and if they send out another stimulus check have they fixed the problem so it does not happen again and again.?

where do i send my injured spouse paper work?

So what do we do I have a injured spouse 8379 form filed back in March for my 2019 taxes which I still haven't received yet. Now the stimulus checks have been cut and they took 1/2 of what we were supposed to get(1450).  my husband's back child support which isn't my debit but, I still have nothing my 1450 portion where is it? Do I file the 8379 form again of what and if so where do I mail or fax it to?

Confused🙄,

Mrs. Curry

ME AS WELL! We file joint returns & I.file injured spouse every year! Cannot get a live person! Not ok that we were not instructed on how to deal.with this before they took our money. Very easy to see it was filed on past returns why it wasn't applied to.the stimulus is so ridiculous! We need help too!

Stimulus so far but I found out when your taxes with injured spouse is not processed the stemulus will be after that they use same injured spouse form they said if you send 2 it only slows it down

http://chng.it/jbyNFrsQNV

petition for the injured spouses and children 

I found out if your regular tax is not processed they will used same for stimulus and you'll get it back just takes longer

@Drie Period!!! I want my money back asap!!!! I was so mad I started lookin at my husband crazy. This whole thing makes me feel like my kids arent as important as his 1 son that he faithful pays child support for. If my money reaches the hands of his baby mama...I think I'm gonna end up in jail. 

I apologize if this link was already shared, but this was a good article I just came across. I've also joined the injured spouse facebook group mentioned in the article. https://madison365.com/injured-spouses-who-have-[product key removed]-19-stimulus-checks-looking-for...  We aren't alone out there. 

JAMES505

MY X WIFE HAS FILE WITH YOU GUYS AND USE MY PIN FROM IRS I AINT HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF AND MY MONEY WAS DEPOSIT IN HER ACCOUNT $1200 AND WE HAVE NOT BEEN TOGETHER I HAVE HER NAME ADDRESSS AND EVETHING ELSE I NEED THIS TO BE REIMBURSED I BEEN LOOKING FOR MY PIN NUMBER BUT AL TIME SHE BEEN USEN IT

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies