turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

I still have yet to receive my tax refund. This is the 13th week. Is there a delay on this because I’ve never waited this long even with injured spouse form the last 3 years I filed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, there is a delay.  It is the COVID shutdown that has caused the IRS to temporarily stop processing some returns.  Returns on hold include those with injured spouse claims.  Unfortunately, the IRS is the only one that knows the status of your return, and they have temporarily suspended the processing of paper-filed and manually reviewed (Forms 8379 included) tax returns.  

Check the status here.  If it says ''still processing'', see above.  Rest assured, you will get your refund but not until they resume operations.  

@Babes0726 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Happened to us to and we have 3 children now the question is how are we going to receive the other half of the money!

@Csonger35 wrote:

Happened to us to and we have 3 children now the question is how are we going to receive the other half of the money!

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A29. If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments.

Half of the whole payment 

So we won't get our part of the stimulus check until next year when we file taxes. I thought when it was offset by child support injured spouse got theirs I, 8 to ten weeks

But how are we receiving the other half of our payments if they took half! Ours says deposited to turbo tax card on the 30th I can't find it will they send a check just like with taxes this is a crazy!!!

@Csonger35 wrote:

But how are we receiving the other half of our payments if they took half! Ours says deposited to turbo tax card on the 30th I can't find it will they send a check just like with taxes this is a crazy!!!

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A31. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I filed electronic not paper with injured spouse form and it was accepted February 3. So mine should not be delayed bc that was way before all the COVID 19 crap. They’ve had plenty of time to get my refund so when do the irs offices open back up?  Have they  announced that yet? Plus only half of the our stimulus went to child support so when will I get the other half?

Right us to and we can't they took $1,950 of the stimulus which was half and dont have a clue where the other half is and how we will get it the get my payment app says it's on the turbo tax card which shows balance zero! And our taxes were filed 11 weeks ago with turbo tax with the IS form with them and excepted by the fed's on feb 15th and still no refund still says processing and before they closed down the call center they said it had been assigned to someone and they was working on them well the state issued a check a long time ago so what's taking the federal government so long we must have done our taxes right bc if not the state wouldn't have went thru! And where is our other half of the stimuils? People really need to go sign the petition for change.org injured spouse 

If you filed your taxes with injured spouse, and you have not received your refund, go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

This enables you to get your transcript online from the IRS. If you cannot access the transcript online, call ‭‭1 (800) 304-3107. This will let you know if there has been an offset in yours or your spouses refund. If the Tax Offset Department States there is an offset, and it is your tax refund that has been incorrectly offset, contact your tax advocate. This is happening everywhere. My tax advocate stated that it was a computer error, and it cannot be fixed until the IRS returns to the office. However, the Tax Advocacy can open a case on your behalf and have the forms in place for when the IRS reopens to get your funds back. Let us pray the IRS opens soon. This is the tax advocacy website: https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

As for the stimulus, until the IRS opens back up, that money is just in limbo waiting. Contact the number listed by the Tax Offset and speak with someone at the Child Support Department about the stimulus so they can flag the account. They were told to tell people to file a second injured spouse. This is the wrong information-do not do anything. When you speak to the tax advocate, you can let them know the stimulus was taken too, but other than that, we do not know when they will get that fixed. 

I hope this helps. I had a meltdown when this all happened, but this is what I have found thus far. 

MarieS
Returning Member

Our total should have been $3900. As everyone else, we received two letters each stating $1950 to be offset. I show that $1950 was applied to the arrears on 5/5, my question is will I receive the $750 (they split the $1500 for the 3 kids) that belongs to my kids back? 

They are going to split the stimulus in half, regardless of the children in the home. So if you’re owed a total of $3,900, you’ll get a stimulus of $1,950 each, and his $1,950 goes to child support. No, they don’t care about the children living in the home. I’m in the same boat.

I understand that but how will we receive the other half of the money bc we have yet to receive it! It's not in the card it hadnt come by mail just the stupid letter saying there taking it!

I did that and I dont understand what I'm looking at all I see is what looks like a tax return what am I looking for please help?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies