Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@Jkgordon1729 

I wrote the governor of Florida no response and the senator definitely just sent me a pre written response that did not answer why the whole stimulus was taken when I file injured spouse every year! Unbelievable 

Bo32150

So i filed injured spouse 2017'2018'2019 and my spouse owed this year 500.00 in back support. My state tax they pulled the 500. No biggie right. Well now the stimulis check that was supposed to be 3400 i recieved  was 117.79. and they took another 3000 out of my federal. All of them for the same 500 past due support. How?why? Im Im gett reallt sore from the state and Federal govt f$#@&g me so much. Single income family wife disabled fighting for disability for 4 yrs even after their appointed dr deemed her 98% disabled. 

My family is in the same situation. My husband owes very old CS arrears from 2008 and 2009 that he’s still paying off. We have custody of one of the children now and the other is 21 (no longer paying CS for her). Like others, we received two letters from the IRS around 4/23/2020. It stated in both letters that each half of our family stimulus had been offset, BUT that it was my lawful right to file an injured spouse form to not be responsible for his debt. So that day, I logged into TurboTax, found the injured spouse form in the pdf file (the 2 pages that I filed with my 2019 taxes), printed it out, and mailed it in (along with a copy of both of the treasury letters). I also typed up a simple, short letter saying why I was writing and what was attached and included that as well. The state I live in - we send IS forms to the treasury office in Dallas TX. You’ll need to google your state to see where to send yours. I hope this helps. For the record, the letter said to wait up to 8 weeks for processing of IS forms for stimulus. So send yours in soon if you haven’t already.

Sadly this will take some time for the situation to work itself out ... in their haste to get these payments out the IRS has made mistakes so now when the staff gets back to work and processes the 8379 forms this may just get resolved ... all anyone can do it wait and see. 

Fjm1968

I don’t care about the tax return I just don’t understand how to fill the form out for the stimulus check. If I didn’t filed joint I would have to pay taxes. I just want my share of the stimulus check

Fjm1968

I never filed a 8379. If I didn’t file married for 2019 I would have to pay. So how do I fill it out just for the stimulus check

My stimulus payment says deposited 4/15 my husband owes child support but they take 55% of his check. His does show was offset but mine says deposited 4/15 I’m wondering if it did go towards the debt? No one to answer a question, no one to talk to. If we filed IS” form why Treasury couldn’t save our portion. Parent in custody is receiving stimulus plus monthly child support plus the $500 per kid and they have the audacity to keep mine too? Unbelievable! We need answers...

My entire part was taken too and I filed a injured spouse form with my 2019 taxes like I’ve done last 3 years and they don’t take any of my tax return. So why did they take my stimulus especially when it goes by your return. I’m so livid and u can’t talk to anyone right now and how can I dispute this??’  Mail another injured spouse form and specify for stimulus payment?  I don’t care how long it’s gonna take to get my Portion back but I’m not gonna stop. I’m a nurse and my hours have been cut. Stimulus has nothing to do with children being taking care of. This is affecting me. They should have just taken his so they need to be more freaking clear but the website actually said I don’t have to do another form. So which is it??!!  Please help me any one if u have any advice.  

Did u get  a letter in the mail saying both went to child support . I got a letter in his name saying 1700 went to child support  and then I got a Mail both names on it went to child support.  I have filed a IS for the last 10 yrs. I tried IRS they said refile. But there is no instructions how. So I contacted the child support  by email and i was told  that if i have filed IS for the last 2 yrs it will be recalculated and sent back.  But his portion will still go to back support. They also sent me a link  to child support forum question but looks like it can take months.  I email my Congressman to tell them they need to change this cause it's not right that they  take this money during this time. The parent that owes still needs to live and with kids it's not right either way but to take the 500 from the ones that have kids to just send to the others that will recieved the 1200 and 500 is messed up during this time... hope this kinda helps it sucks this is happening cause i know it makes me feel like my kids dont matter and that we dont matter. They should of made all debts withheld their  stimulus since they did this debt. They should of just allowed everyone get the check to help lives to still live.  I know my husband  ex thought it was funny  that our money was took she is a evil B and his kids are 21 and 19 .. my kids are 8 and 10  both special needs too. But no one cares what are situation  is They just care what the debt is. Screwed up I say sorry for long reply 

My injured spouse was filed every year aswell I havent even done my 2019 all they took was my 2018 stimulus but 1200. I also recieved the letter saying they took 1200 an never mention the other 1200..I'm even wondering if for some reason it is all they sent me..I was told no use sending another injured form because there is no one available to recieve it.. I'm stuck with no answers no help and no resources.  They send you the treasury department number but for what they have no clue This whole situation is just disgusting already 

Did you get the letter after that saying 2400..mine says 1200..my is exactly as yours..my husbands says offset an mine says deposited yet it wasnt 

Your suppose to fill out out during your tax..I believe you still can mail it.  Go on irs and print it an submitt one 

Wao! But how was yours showing when you go to get my payment app?

I haven’t received the letter yet? Nothing , but my husband shows inelegible but mi de deposited Treasury says to not submit another IS form.

I submit IS every year 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies